Great review! I loved both Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, although I did struggle through many boring chapters. I've never read this book but I must now. How can anything be as wonderful as Jane Eyre?
Lillelara 7 years ago
Thank you :). There hasn´t been a single boring chapter in the Tenant, probably because the story is told through letters and a diary. And for the last 200 pages I couldn´t put it down, it was that gripping.
Jane Eyre is a wonderful book but there were some passages that I didn´t enjoy that much (the part with the self righteous priest).
Agreed. I'm adding to my TBR here. I think it's already on my Goodreads shelf. Promised myself I would read more classics this year. When I clear a path through my currents, I will start with this one. I'm currently reading America's First Daughter. Oh my gosh!! It's soooo good!! I'm only 40 pages deep but can already tell it'll go on my All Time Favorites shelf.
Lillelara 7 years ago
America´s First Daughter sounds fascinating. I´m looking forward to your review, should you decide to write one :).
I saw that you have added Rebecca to your TBR-shelf. Love Rebecca, one of my all time favorite books.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Hahahaha! Great review. I'm just laughing because this is pretty much the reaction of everyone I know who read this after Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre - the "how is this not as well known as the other two?"-reaction.
I'm really glad you liked it.
Lillelara 7 years ago
My guess: Pop cultural references. I watched one episode of "Who´s the boss" some twenty years ago and Sam is reading Wuthering Heigths in that episode. Angela enters the living room and she screams "Oh my good, Wuthering heights, my favorite book. Isn´t Heathcliff just the epitome of the broody, mysterious dreambot of a man?" - ok, I´m exaggerating ;). But she did say something like that. And after reading the book I thought "That´s what you took from this story. He is a raging soziopath. I hate that guy".
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Pop culture and Charlotte deliberately preventing any 're-printing after Anne's death. So, JE and WH had much better chances of entering pop culture.
Lol!!! I don't think I've ever heard Heathcliff described that way but he is that!!
Lillelara 7 years ago
@BT: I didn´t know that Charlotte prevented a reprinting of her books. I wonder why she did this? Jealousy perhaps? The Brontes strike me as a troubled family.
@Teresa: I keeping my fingers crossed that I´m getting Vilette as a belated birthday present. Otherwise I have to buy it myself ;). I´m planning on reading more classics this year and I will definetely put Vilette on this years TBR-pile.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
I gather there is some dispute about her motives but I believe one of her reasons was that the husband's character was based on their brother and Charlotte didn't approve of this. I personally think jealousy had something to do with this, too.
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Yep, I had the same reaction to this book as well. I hated Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, and then I read this and wondered how Anne wasn't more famous than her gloomy sisters. And now I know I'm not alone! Yay!
Lillelara 7 years ago
I guess we have to spread the word that everyone should read Annes books and make her thus more famous or at least equally famous in comparison to her sisters.
I can't ever think of Wuthering Heights w/out hearing Pat Benatar sing, "Heathcliff, it's me I'm Cathy I've come home. I'm so col-oh-oh-oh-old. Let me in your win-dow."
Lillelara 7 years ago
Hehe, I´m picturing what Heathcliffs response would be if Cathy would be outside his window in the cold, begging to get into the house. My guess: "Oh, why don´t you just bugger off!" ;D.

I didn´t know that Pat Benatar has made a cover version of Wuthering Heights. I´m only familiar with the Kate Bush version, which I actually prefer. It´s so ethereal and with that hint of magic. And I like the video with that odd dancing and her red dress:

Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Hayley Westenra did a good version too, but it's hard to beat Kate.
BrokenTune 7 years ago
Kate definitely takes the top spot.

But let's also not forget Monty Python's efforts:
Darth Pedant 7 years ago
Day = made. :D
Lillelara 7 years ago
Monty Python never goes out of a style. Brilliant clip :D.
But I can´t help myself, "Julius Caesar on an Aldis Lamp" just cracks me up everytime I´m watching this. A feature lenght movie would be much appreciated ;).
Lillelara 7 years ago
I hope that you are going to enjoy it :).