BrokenTune 5 years ago
I really liked the tv series but have never tried the books. Sounds like I may have to look them up.
Lillelara 5 years ago
Well, I hope you will enjoy it. I have never watched the tv series myself, but I might check it out as soon as I have a couple of more books under my belt.
The TV series is fabulous as well.
Lillelara 5 years ago
Great. Something to look forward to :)
Oh yey -- you liked it! Good, I'm so glad!!
Lillelara 5 years ago
I really, really liked it :): I already have the second book on preorder.
... and the second book is even better than the first ...

(Somewhat more violent at the beginning. BUT Cadfael gets to meet Hugh Beringar!)
Lillelara 5 years ago
Based on your comment I suspect that Hugh Beringar becomes a sort of sidekick to Cadfael?
I'm going to withhold further comment until you've read it. Let's just say that they don't get off on the best of feet, and "it takes one to know one" ... :D
Lillelara 5 years ago
Mmmh, interesting ;D. I might just read it as soon as it has arrived.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
You liked all the same things about Cadfael that I did, including his Welshness. :)

I finally had to buy an ominbus in order to get book 2, but I have it now and plan to read it for this square.
Lillelara 5 years ago
I don´t know if they are really like that, but the Welsh struck me like genuinly nice people. I have to visit Wales someday.

I´m looking forward to your thoughts about the second book :). It´s perfect for this square.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I've been to Wales once a few years ago; spent most of the time in Cardiff and I can honestly say they are some of the most genuine, friendliest, people I've ever met. I loved it there. :)
Lillelara 5 years ago
It´s settled. I have to go visit Wales :)
I visited (a bit) this year and am planning to go back for longer next year. Totally agree -- super, super nice and friendly people. AND beautiful countryside!
Person Of Interest 5 years ago
Cadfael is a great character. I really like both the books and the tv series. I love Patrick Tull's narration of the audiobooks too.
Lillelara 5 years ago
Thanks for the audiobook recommendation. Unfortunately is not that easy to get the Patrick Tull narration in Germany. I listened to the narrator of the audible version, Stephen Thorne, and I don´t like his voice. That I know for sure.
5 years ago
I've never seen the tv series, but I adore the books. I've got the 4th one lined up and ready to go this week. Brother Cadfael is just so sensible, I love him.
Lillelara 5 years ago
Enjoy your book :). I might be reading the second book over the next couple of weeks. I haven´t made up my mind just yet.
"16 Festive Tasks, Square 5 -- Book themes for Advent: [...] Read the 4th book from a favorite series." "St. Peter's Fair" would seem to fit the bill! :D (And it really is a great one. @Lillelara: You absolutely should read book 2 first, though. Not all of the series needs to be read in order, but book 2 really is "book 1, part 2" in many respects -- it lays the groundwork for A LOT of the series's recurring plot elements and motifs.)
Lillelara 5 years ago
I tend to read historical fiction series in order, so I will do that with the Cadfael books Btw, my book for the Advent square and hence the fourth book in a series will be my next Shardlake novel, Revelation.
That's a great one to look forward to as well! (Brutal, though.)