I'm a bit confused about the tag updates. In the past I've used apostrophes and periods in my tags because those might occur in author names or book titles and those tags appear to be unchanged. I also have some tags that use a slash such as my "Comic Book/Graphic Novel" tag and those remain unchanged. Do those characters still work, and if so can you be more clear about what constitutes special characters?
BookLikes 8 years ago
Your old tags will stay in your posts but for the new tags, please use only: letters, numbers, hyphen, space. Other characters will be removed while inserting the tag. Sorry for the confusion.
Well I have to say I'm very disappointed by this. One thing I liked about this site was my ability to make my tags exactly how I like them unlike the shelves at GoodReads and LeafMarks. It's very undesirable not to be able to use these characters where I feel I need them. I should be able to have my tags in whatever format I want in my blog. I'm sure you felt you had a good reason for making this change, but I really hope you reconsider.
Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
So, can we continue to use the old tags that had characters that are no longer allowed? I hope so. I'd hate to no longer be able to use my half-star rating tags (1.5-star, 3.5-star, etc.), or have them morph into 15-star, 35-star, etc.
Familiar Diversions 8 years ago
Hmm. Just tested and it looks like they still work, as long as I don't try to add them to a post by hand. Still, I'm with Kythe42 - it was nice to be able to use slashes, periods, and apostrophes in tags.
BookLikes 8 years ago
Sorry for the confusion. Changes had to be made due to technical reasons and to improve the tag search. We'll keep you updated about the possible further changes.
While I understand the need to improve things for technical issues, not being able to format tags the way I want them in a blog format is a much bigger deal to me than not being able to do it on a regular book site like GoodReads. A blog is much more personal and I really don't like the idea that I won't be able to format Author tags the way I want them anymore or use other special characters when I feel I need them.

There have been multiple changes to this site since I started using it that have made this site harder to use, but I've stayed because this is the only book site that integrates blogging with a virtual bookshelf. If I can't even have the tags on my blog look the way I want to though, I'm really going to have to reconsider whether I want to keep using this site.

I really hope you'll make it a priority to sort out whatever technical issues there are in a way that will reallow people to use tags the way they want to. I've found this site to be quite similar to Tumblr and I can do tags however I want on that site.
Moyas Buchgewimmel 8 years ago
Like Kythe42 I am quite disappointed in the changes to tags. As I am from germany special characters like ä, ö, ü are a regular part of my language and now I am not able anymore to create tags with those letters. That's a bit of a problem, too, don't you think?
Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in being upset about this. I am really surprised that more people aren't angry about this change. I think I've decided that until this is fixed I won't be posting any more content or updating my shelves.

I put a lot of work into customizing my blog just how I wanted it to look including how the tags are formatted. If I can no longer have my blog just how I want it, then there's not much reason for me to keep participating on this site. This may have been the first book blog that I created, but I've since made backups on other sites, so leaving here won't be too traumatic.
8 years ago
Re: book pages. I would be much nicer to see narrators of audiobooks listed as "narrator" and not "author." Maybe you can start an industry trend.
BookLikes 8 years ago
Yes, we are updating the roles for authors. You can choose from several roles (author, narrator, illustrator, editor) when editing the book page, the new role in visible on the book page.
8 years ago
Yes, but are you really going to go back and review hundreds of thousands of entries to make the changes?
BookLikes 8 years ago
Well, it's happening as we speak. With help of BL members who edit the book pages and a great work of BL Librarians the improvement and development of the multilungual book catalog on BL is going much faster and is already visible on the book/author pages.
8 years ago
That is good to know. I'll start going through my bookshelves now. I have lots of audio and lots of it is hard to find because somehow the audio edition has its own book page. More often than not I have to go to Amazon to find the book number so I can find the entry in the database so I can add the correct edition to my shelf. Now, going forward, I can take care of all this when I add a book.

I'm disappointed in the size limit as very few of the images I want to use now work.
Rane Aria 8 years ago
RE: Pic Size Limit. One can still upload offsite and link to the post here correct? Like Photobucket etc?
Not with the add image at the bottom of the page. You can use html, or use the add pic up on top of the images, though.

Also, copying and pasting images directly into the text box works.

Also, copying and pasting images directly into the text box works.
Rane Aria 8 years ago
Thank you! I tend to use offsite linking, as I post in many different sites that don't support image uploading
I liked how easy it was to upload directly from your computer, but there are other ways to post images! I've been working on figuring out the best way for while, as I don't know where I got some of the images I've used, and instead saved them to the computer -_-