Char's Horror Corner 11 months ago
Thanks for all the helpful info! Especially the "Shelve it" icon-I never did understand quite how that was supposed to work. I think I'm going to like this new feature. :)
BookLikes 11 months ago
That's great!
SilverMaris 11 months ago
As a new user, this post is super helpful. Thank you, BL and Jenn!

One thing I've wondered about that isn't mentioned here or in the dos and don'ts: What about alternate cover editions? I've found that in these cases I couldn't add new editions because the alternate cover edition retained the same ISBN. Any solutions? (I own the books in question, so there's no mix-up of ISBNs, and I'm a librarian on GR so have some experience adding and editing books.)
BookLikes 11 months ago
The alternate covers issues is a thing that is not sorted out yet , sorry :/ The best thing to do is to add all information in accordance to the ISBN you're having and when having doubts use the Report button, the information will be sent to BL Librarians team.
SilverMaris 11 months ago
Thanks so much for the info! I can live with the odd "wrong" cover if there's no way around it just yet, as long as I know that I'm not creating more work for librarians or messing up book data.
BookLikes 11 months ago
Also, please remember to add a source link for your data, it is a huge help when verifying the book information. Thank you :)
SilverMaris 11 months ago
Will do! :)
Murder by Death 11 months ago
While Kate was temporarily away from BL, we librarians sort of came up with a temporary um... workaround. BL's has been so busy we haven't been able to chat about librarian issues (yet!), so I don't know if she's ok with this or not - Kate, please tell me/us if you don't think this is workable:

For alternate cover editions we've been taking one of the ISBNs off the existing record and using it to create the alternate cover edition with a Note at the beginning of the book description for each, noting the alternative cover status. I usually pair the ISBN 13 with the newer cover and the 10 with the older one, but that's just me being picky. :)

Kate - do you think that will work ok until something more permanent is worked out? It won't work for editions that have more than 2 covers, but at least it gets us those.

SiverMaris: If Kate approves, than you could just let us know about the alternate editions with the report it button.
SilverMaris 11 months ago
Thanks for looking into this for me! With Kate's approval, this is a workaround I'll apply if I run into any more alternate covers. Right now I'm busy adding more books, but I like to get the covers right when I'm talking/posting about a specific book. :)
BookLikes 11 months ago
Since there's no other way to do this, we can temporarily agree to this kind of idea. Thank you :)
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Oh good! Thanks Kate! :)
Kaethe 11 months ago
I always check author, too, before I add a book, because I'm lazy and don't want to do the work of entering the book, which the computer can do perfectly well by itself.

An excellent, useful post. I didn't know about that icon, so yay!
BookLikes 11 months ago