Midu Reads 8 months ago
I shelve the books that I have read together and the unread ones separately. Lately, I have started putting books from the same series together, which makes it easier for me to see which ones I still need to buy to complete a set!
BookLikes 8 months ago
The series shelf sounds great and really helpful. Thank you for this tip! :)
Midu Reads 8 months ago
:-)
Sorry kids, no feet. 8 months ago
I'm kind of odd. My books are sorted by favorite author, if author writes a series, then by favorite series. That's one wall. My other wall is sorted into fiction and non-fiction and then by books I have not read. It's mess but it's my mess. New books are stacked on the floor because my shelves are full. One of these days I am going to go full dewy decimal system on my shelves.
BookLikes 8 months ago
I like your statement: It's my mess! I always find what I want in my mess :)
Murder by Death 8 months ago
My sort is different (genre / author a-z / series by pub date) for my mysteries and UF, but otherwise we're very similar: fiction in one case, non-fiction in the other. All my TBR is in piles on the floor and any other flat surface in that room, and I have EVERY intention of going full dewey on my shelves too... I just need to get enough shelves first. :P
Barks At The Moon 8 months ago
I used to be an author sorter, now I'm a hopeless mess (AKA no order).My hope is to one day be a color sorter.
BookLikes 8 months ago
I love color bookshelves but I was never persistent enough to keep it that way longer than a week ;)
Char's Horror Corner 8 months ago
That would drive me insane, I think. If you had a lot of shelves, it could be difficult to find a certain book if you didn't know what color the cover was.
I loved this post!
Murder by Death 8 months ago
I'm with you char - it looks so awesome, but the second I'd need to find a book it would get ugly. Plus, MT and I would totally bicker about whether a book's cover is really scarlet red, or crimson, and where on the spectrum it should be shelved (printers!).

and I LOVE this post. Thanks Kate - all those screenshots and numbering and lettering would have been a lot of work. It's appreciated. :) (I had no idea shelf view let you see which books had private notes... that's cool.)
Murder by Death 8 months ago
i'll just point out though - for the sake of accuracy - you can't currently sort by "My Review" (table view - letter 'o'). It would be handy if we could though. And I would honestly weep tears of joy and gratitude if we could sort by publication date. Big, fat tears. :)
YouKneeK 8 months ago
Meanwhile, until BL has time to expand their sorting options, you can sort by publication date using the Boolean Shelf Search Tool I published way back when. Search for whichever shelf you want to sort, then click the “Published” column heading. Click again to change to descending order. http://blfollowercomparison.azurewebsites.net/BooleanShelfSearch

The limitation is that this tool was more about the “AND” searches and you can only have one “OR”, so you’d be limited to two shelves, including the exclusive shelves. So, for example, you could select “Read” in one table and “Planning to Read” in the other and get back everything on both shelves and then sort it. But you couldn't do more shelves than that in one search. The results are tabular, though, so pretty easy to copy/paste and combine then sort in Excel.

It ought to be easy enough to write a supplemental API tool more dedicated to sorting functionality. If things are still going well after the end of the quarter, I might start putting some time into BL tools again.
YouKneeK 8 months ago
I should add that you can also sort by pages using that tool, which would be equally useful if one is looking for a short or long book to read.
Murder by Death 8 months ago
Oh, thanks for the reminder about that - I thought it was really cool, but it fell off the radar for while there... I need to check it out again. I'm imagining some spreadsheet possibilities as backups...
YouKneeK 8 months ago
The results of my tool don’t list a lot of data (like the ISBN). I doubt it would be useful for a backup.

I’d be afraid to make it work more usefully as an export tool since BL has stated that an export function is against their policy. They might block my API key and then none of the existing tools would be available to anybody. http://booklikes.com/thread/9/feature-requests?p=34#thread-post-25847 (post #514)
BookLikes 8 months ago
Thank you for the remarks!
markk 8 months ago
I suppose I would fit in the first category, though I organize my books not by alphabetization but by chronology -- either era of publication (in the case of fiction) or the era of the subject (in the case of the history & biography that dominate my nonfiction).
BookLikes 8 months ago
Nice and neat. Thanks!
Mine are a strange mashup of Genre and No Order. And within the genre books, the interior organization is likely to be chronological. (I have a ton of history, which really lends itself to this approach.)

I don't use color or alphabetical organization at all.
BookLikes 8 months ago
Biała biblioteczka 8 months ago
Great post! I sort my books by color as my dominant learning style is visual, and I can quickly remember the cover of the book and link it with content. I don't remember the title or author but I will find the book by cover. That's why I sort by color, it works perfectly for me and looks good on the shelves. And yes I love DIY as you described. New books and current reads are stacked beside bed.
BookLikes 8 months ago
Glad to hear you liked it :) And great to hear that color works for you!
Smoczy zakątek 8 months ago
I sort my books by authors, next by publishers. But "no order" with cats also looks great!
BookLikes 8 months ago
;-) We do get the impression that the cats have their own order on their minds, though ;)