Sandi 5 years ago
Yes! Thank you!
Denise 5 years ago
I had completely forgotten about the big changes until I signed on and was a bit confused. I love the new updates (especially the book pages)! Thanks Booklikes!
Sandi 5 years ago
Where is the mail option, I can't seem to find it?
BookLikes 5 years ago
Messages are available next to the new menu, click the little square and select Messages at the bottom.
Sandi 5 years ago
Got it, thank you! BL really could/should give lessons on how to treat members!
Lornographic Material 5 years ago
Lookin' smexy, BL. That's smart and sexy, in case you didn't know. ;)
Merle 5 years ago
Yay!
Michael's Book Babble 5 years ago
Facebook and such could learn a lesson from you guys about updating/upgrading. I love it!
Lornographic Material 5 years ago
This is the truth, and nothing but the truth.
I love the new look, but I can't seem to actually search my own shelves anymore. Will this come back?
Denise 5 years ago
Have you tried looking at your shelves in table view? I still have an option to search them when I'm in table view. If that is what you meant.
I'm gonna try that again, Denise. Thank you :)
Denise 5 years ago
It is on the left-hand side above the books. It is kind of hard to see.
Sandi 5 years ago
Playing with this, reading comments/questions, it's like Christmas & many of us got a new, fun toy!
SilverThistle 5 years ago
O.M.G! Finally editions are here!! Oh Happy Day!
YES!!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!
Fun With Books Blog 5 years ago
Love it - thank you :)
Chris' Fish Place 5 years ago
Awesome. Wonderful. Thank you.
YouKneeK 5 years ago
The new database is awesome, thank you! I also really like the new format, although admittedly I'd only been using the old one for about a week so I wasn't very attached yet. :) I'd checked out BookLikes several months ago and liked it a lot, but the lack of a database was a deal breaker for me. I kept checking back for update news and, when I saw your announcement last Thursday, I signed back up in hopes this was what was coming.

One thing I do miss on the Book Page is the ability to see a list of other people who have read and shelved the book. Similarly, I would also love it if there were a way to compare books between myself and other members to see what books we share in common.
Yess! Unified database! Hurra!

(One about the facelift: too white. Taxes the eyes.)
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
Yes - I'd been trying to remember what the colors were like before, and couldn't, but I didn't recall there being so much white/near-white space. It'd be nice if the background gray were a few shades darker.
What's white now used to be some off-white/pale grey shade.
Chris' Fish Place 5 years ago
Will Shelve it still work? And are there still some bugs, because Hotel was on my shelf, and now it is gone. My review is still there though.
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
Question on the reading challenge thing at the top of the dashboard: does the little white circle indicate where we should be in the reading challenge so far? If so, neat. And also, dang it, I'm behind.
Lornographic Material 5 years ago
That's what I'm thinking.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
I think so too because it looks about right seeing as I'm at least 13 books behind. At least it's not too in your face and I can easily ignore it ;)
Martini 5 years ago
Yay! Marvelous job, Booklikes team! Thanks a lot! :)
ETA: I hope the option to add books that are not in the database will return. How would I add the rest of my antiquarian books if this is not possible any more...
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Upcoming:

- Book moderators to edit, combine and add book information.

This excites me. I hope it happens soon!
Martini 5 years ago
I guess I will apply, then. :)
I'm very happy that you guys added a new book database, however there are many books on my shelves that are messed up. The most common issue is that there is the wrong cover on the book, but there is one book that has the wrong title, and one book that doesn't seem to show up on my shelves at all despite the fact that my number of books hasn't changed.

I'm disappointed that there's currently no way to fix these errors without removing the book and adding it again which is something I thought would be fixed with the addition of the new database.

Also there's now no way to add new books if you can't find what you are looking for in the search which was something that I really liked and I consider it to be a major problem that I can't do that anymore.

One last thing. I actually find the drop down menu very awkward to use. when I'm dragging my mouse down to try to select options on the drop down menu often I will accidentally drag my mouse off to the side and then the menu disappears and I have to try again. It can take me several tries to be able to successfully navigate to the area I want to go to. I would suggest splitting up the drop down menu into two or three smaller drop down menus or maybe just add in display options so that users can choose between a drop down menu and buttons along the top similar to how it used to be. Thanks.
Oh and I just wanted to add that not being able to add new books that aren't in the database is an immediate problem as the next book I wanted to add to my shelves I couldn't find even when I tried searching with 3 different ASIN numbers.

I also found two more books that is missing from my shelves despite there being no change in my shelf numbers.
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
Yes, I too would like the ability to add new books that can't be found in the search.
Jessica (HDB) 5 years ago
SHINY! I love this new look. Now to go play with all the new features...
Jessica (HDB) 5 years ago
Is there a way to fix book covers? I see a few that are missing that were there before the update.
Not that I can see. I'd really like to just be able to upload my own covers to all of my books, even the ones that currently have the right covers and then be secure that my book covers won't change by themselves due to database issues.
This is great! Thank you, BL!
Peregrinations 5 years ago
THANK YOU!! At last! Now I can find the audio editions easily. But even better, it doesn't really matter because all reviews of a given title are shown no matter which edition is being reviewed.

B├╝chernische 5 years ago
Great :) I will take a look around now, long time not seen ;)
SilverThistle 5 years ago
The new overall whiteness is very...white. One thing I definitely miss is the dark green on the new notifications. Before when I checked my notifications all the new ones were in a dark green box, now they're in a box that is a darker shade of white and it doesn't show up very well on the white background. I sometimes have 40 or 50 new notifications and it used to be easy to scroll down and start checking them from the oldest one by seeing where the green started. Any chance this could be reimplemented? Please :D
SilverThistle 5 years ago
The new dropdown menu is going to be the hardest to get used to. I only ever use the first 4 things on the list and liked them on the nav bar where they were within easy reach. Now I can see me just clicking the 'booklikes' header to take me to my dashboard and not bother with the dropdown at all.
Bark at the Ghouls 5 years ago
Thank you so much for combining editions! I'd love to see all the reviews on the page (it seems like some are missing) as well as who shelved it. I liked seeing all of those little avatars. I found a lot of friends that way. Also can't wait for "book moderators" to go live!
Trillian 5 years ago
Thank you so much for this thursday update! I love your new design - It was sooo worth waiting! And it already works so much better on my smartphone than before where I had loading problems :)
Wooohooo!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are just awesome!! Easter and Christmas just happened all on the same day ... and on a Thursday, too!
Mammarella 5 years ago
Thank you for so many new features. And what a smooth transition it was! You're amazing :D
I love love love the combined search, picking one venue was such a hassle. I love the combined book pages, it will prevent having multiple editions on my shelves for no reason.

And book moderators are coming soon? Be still my heart!

In short, I love it all!
I think this is marvelous, I really do! YAY!! But I want to be able to add my books to my shelves. I have many older books and continue to get many older books that normally need to be added manually. As well, I noticed that prior to this new database, many of my newly released ebook purchases from smaller publishers (like Riptide, Dreamspinners, Samhain etc..) were needing to be added manually or the only ebook availabe was the kindle edition - which I seldom buy. So I have many times had to add books manually. And if not the actual books, the details of the books. It matters to me if it's an ebook, a mass market paperback, a hardcover, a trade papberbac, a kindle edition etc...

Now you're talking about book moderators and librarians etc... Will this not allow me to manually add my books to my shelves instantly? When I want? Because that would be very annoying if I couldn't. I like to control my books. The other concern along these lines that I have is that I have mostly Canadian editions of books which I find are different from the American editions.
Dawid Piaskowski 5 years ago
Thank you for all this feedback. We read every comment.
Soon you'll be able to add manually as many books as you want (regardless the moderators).
As always we've got some really cool stuff we want to show you asap.
Martini 5 years ago
Thanks again, Dawid! Hope you and your team are having a glass of champagne (or two) right now. You have definetely earned it. :)
As far as I am concerned, they've earned a whole bathtub full of champagne ... :)
I hope it's very soon. I just encountered another book I couldn't add which I'm positive would have come up in the search before the change as it's fairly new on Amazon. Is the search even pulling results from sites like Amazon at all anymore?
Degrees of Affection 5 years ago
I second Themis-Athena on the bathtub full of champagne, you all have definitely earned it. Great job and hope you all are not exhausted, this can't have been easy to build and get working as well as it is!
And yes, looking forward to the cool stuff! ;)
BrokenTune 5 years ago
"Thirded"!
Dawid, that sounds TERRIFIC!
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Thank you so much! The new site looks great and the database, oh, well, the database.... I have no words how brilliant it is to see all the reviews consolidated and other books by the author. You guys rock!
Twisted Reads 5 years ago
My OCD is not liking that covers have changed and some aren't there at all. >_
I feel you. I'm extremely picky about my covers and when I was originally adding my books there were many I manually added so I could have the exact cover I wanted and now they are changed to cover editions I definitely don't want.
Thanks for all the new features, looking good! I just woke up and still need some coffee in me before I go exploring all the new features so I might be back in a few hours to comment more. :)

Something I'm not sure anyone else noticed... during maintenance our blogs didn't go completely offline this time. Instead of our blogs directing to the under maintenance page, only specific portions were unavailable (dashboard button, widgets, and comments). This is a great improvement and I hope all future maintenance will be this way since before it was a major problem for anyone visiting our blogs during maintenance. Keep up the great work!
I was only awake for the first 3 hours of maintenance, the blogs might have gone completely offline after that, and if they did... that sucks. They really need to not mess with the blogs during maintenance, nothing worse than coming to a website that isn't available. :(
Sometimes there can be multiple covers for a single isbn though. I really hope they put in the option to let us upload covers to display on our shelves, but that won't necessarily change the official database edition.
Degrees of Affection 5 years ago
Thank you!!!! What a lovely early birthday present! ;)
All in all, I like the new format and I love the book database, especially with the understanding that we will at some point be able to see all the reviews concerning the title. But I love the set up of the book page, I've been playing with them for a good bit of the day.

Thank you so much for listening to all our wishes and for putting this together. It's an amazing job and then you had to further tempt us with that last bit. Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve!
Dawid Piaskowski 5 years ago
Happy "early birthday" :-)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Today is my day off and I woke up before dawn and my first (coherent) thought was "BL Database!"

Thank you so much for everyone's hard work and such a beautiful, seamless transition. I'm looking forward to playing with everything today, and to the new features yet to come. I'll be among the first to apply for book moderator so I can do my part. Cheers to everyone at BL!
Degrees of Affection 5 years ago
We were getting ready to leave early and I hopped on the computer to see if we could get on yet. I understand.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Also, just one small request - I notice that the book page groups the reviews of 'people you follow' but places them at the bottom of community reviews. Would it make sense to anyone else to place them above community reviews? (going to go check discussion threads...)
I second this. When a book ends up with a lot of reviews, I don't want to have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see my friends reviews.
Absolutely. Friends' reviews should have priority!
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Oh, look, i think this may have been changed already. :)
I concur!
Ilhem 5 years ago
Sorry if someone already asked, but I'm too lazy to read all the comments.

So, my question is : how do we add new books? it seems that it's not possible to add them like I did before (with the search function). There must be a new function somewhere, but I didn't find it. Thanks for the help and kudos for the database!
I think this option has been removed. The post says, "Book moderators to edit, combine and add book information." is coming soon. I suppose if we have a book that needs added we will have to wait in queue for that? It would make for a more organised system, hopefully the wait time won't be too long after it has been implemented.
Ilhem 5 years ago
Thank you all. I'll try to be patient even though I'm not sure I understand why we would need moderators to edit and add books.... I'll try Petra's workaround in the meantime.:)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
One more small suggestion/request: When we have notifications, can the notification box change colour as well as indicate the number of notifications? (Like it used to.) I keep missing the new notifications because there's nothing to catch my eye...
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Another one I think that was changed today already.
BookLikes 5 years ago
It's green now :)
Thank you very much; much easier to see.
SilverThistle 5 years ago
Mine isn't green. We're talking about the 'actual' notifications page here, right? The one that used to turn the unread notification messages dark, dark green. It's not just the box with the number in it that's been made dark green, is it? Please tell me its the notification box.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Geez, so awesome... Thanks again BL! :D
Murder by Death 5 years ago
SilverThistle - I had just requested the box with the number in it change colour. I agree it would be nice to have new notifications on the notifications page a different colour too though...
I've come across many books where there were multiple covers per isbn. On GoodReads if there's more than one cover per isbn then you can create an alternate cover edition so you can display the cover you want. I find the whole process rather tedious but it's better than nothing. Honestly I don't really care about isbn, binding, and publisher. I only care about the title, the author, and the cover(which I'm highly picky about). It's nice that on Shelfari and LibraryThing you can upload your own covers and it really only applies to the book on your specific shelf(though other people can pick the covers you've uploaded).
Debbie's Spurts 5 years ago
I have no drop down menus when using on ipad. Is there any other way to get to my drafts? What happened to our exclusive shelves? I tried to shelve a book as preordered (a shelf I used to have as exclusive) and it only shows me the defaults read, planning to ...
BookLikes 5 years ago
Oh sorry, we'll investigate that. Your Drafts are here: http://booklikes.com/blog?draft

All your statuses and shelves should be visible in book pop up (click the book cover), we'll investigate the issue with +Shelf quick add option. Please mail us with any troubles: contact@booklikes.com
LittleBookCove 5 years ago
It looks all good and dandy i just wish you guys could do some thing about the random bots that add you all the time.
Twisted Reads 5 years ago
I was looking to add some books and I wanted another edition and I noticed that I have to click my way through sometimes 15 editions because the popup hover info doesn't clarify what format... also some books are really cluttered... I get it takes time to get organized... but the same book can be added in paperback 5 times and the only different thing is what publisher in their country released it. I'll help to get organized if you need it, but if in the future there could be an overall book page and maybe there you can click paperback, hardback, ebook, audio and a coherency in covers... because the covers on the books are also all over the place. (I sound neurotic and demanding, and maybe not even making any sense, I'm sorry.)
BookLikes 5 years ago
The Other Editions page is on its way :)
This is a interesting site. Wow! I will have to take some time to check this all out!
Way coolness! I have only been with you for a little while, but the new setup is lovely.
Familiar Diversions 5 years ago
The full-site searching feature is a little hard to find. I initially thought it was completely taken away, until one of my friends said something about remembering that this post had mentioned searching tags. That jogged my memory and I finally found what I was looking for under the "Title, Author, ISBN, ASIN" search. Unless you think to check there, though, it really does look like there's no longer any way to search the full site.