Um I really hate to be a downer, but is there any way we can disable the feature where the book window pops up just from hovering over the book image? I understand that some people might like this, but it's really annoying for me. Just because my mouse lingers over a book image for a second doesn't necessarily mean I want to see all of that info(would rather just see a little tool tip with the title and author) and it's annoying having to keep clicking out of the pop-up box. I'd rather have the book window come up if I actually click on the book image, but now that takes me to the actual book page which isn't at all preferable...

I do like the idea of the book report update but I'm not sure how useful it will be for my specific problems until I actually use it.
Familiar Diversions 4 years ago
"Um I really hate to be a downer, but is there any way we can disable the feature where the book window pops up just from hovering over the book image?"

I second this. It wasn't an issue on my tablet, because hovering isn't possible there, but on my computer it's incredibly annoying.
RebeccaD 4 years ago
I don't like the hover feature either. Just because my mouse happens to be over a book, that doesn't mean I want to look at it.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this feature, either. Often I hover the mouse over a cover to find out what the title/author are, not because I want to add it.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Yeah, the pop-up is really annoying me, too.
Maven Books 4 years ago
Agreed! Maybe instead there could be an icon that shows up in the corner of a book cover image when you hover, but you have to click it to load the overlay.
I like this a lot!! Thanks so much for all the work you do. :)
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
I really like the hover option but can see how it might be annoying for other users. Is there a way you can create an option to "opt out" for those who want it disabled? I'd hate to lose it now that I have it,
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
I do hate it when I lose my place by accidentally clicking on something which I do often. As for the popup, if I want to go the book page I hit control and click on the popup window and it opens a new window for the book page. My dash stays open and that way I don't get stuck at the top of the dash again when I go back..

I haven't tried this on a tablet yet. Not sure how that'll work.
Denise 4 years ago
A majority of the time I am using Booklikes on my phone and this new feature does not work on my phone. I am finding it impossible to hover over the book cover on my phone so it is becoming impossible for me to shelve a book or edit my books. I agree with the other people that ask for this feature to be optional, not because I think that it is annoying but because this causes me to be unable to shelve books or edit my books. This feature works fine for me when I am using my computer but unfortunately I use my phone to access this website at least 80% of the time.
Denise 4 years ago
Oh and can anybody tell me where I go to change the reading dates on my books. For some reason I am no longer seeing that option and want to make sure one of the books that I am currently reading has the right starting date. All I am seeing is the ability to put a book on your shelves and not the ability to edit reading dates.

Edit: Never mind I just found it. That was not intuitive at all. I must have missed some post explaining where it had gone to.
I'm not seeing any option at all to *see* the dates; my memory isn't what it used to be.
Denise 4 years ago
If you click on the dropdown menu to shelve a book if you click on "Shelf advanced" you can see the dates. I just stumbled on it myself. It is not intuitive at all and took me a while to find.
BookLikes 4 years ago
The Advanced shelving options for dates, favorites, private notes are available in book window and on book pages; they are visible once your click +Shelf and select "+Shelf advanced" at the bottom, then you can see/edit your reading dates, add rating stars...
You can also check new shelf options in our lat week post: http://blog.booklikes.com/post/915230/advanced-shelving-on-the-book-pages-and-how-to-change-the-book-edition-on-your-shelf

Thank you for all the remarks. We'll be working on the improvements both on the site and the mobiles.
Oh, thank you, Denise, that's good to know.
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
Uh oh, that will be a major pain. I'll try it out later.
Familiar Diversions 4 years ago
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
"Does your tablet allow you to tap and hold to open a new tab in your browser? That's how I usually do things with Booklikes when I'm using my Nexus, so that I don't lose my place on my dashboard."

I have an Ipad Mini and don't know how to do this. Is it possible?
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
It works! Thanks
Jessica (HDB) 4 years ago
Thank you so much for the "report" feature! Now I can report the book covers that I'm missing :). I know it's a personal thing, but I so hate seeing that empty space where a cover should be. As always, thank you!
Bark at the Ghouls 4 years ago
I wish they'd let us upload a cover. It'd make life easier for everyone.
bookaneer 4 years ago
@Booklikes, if you're reading responses here:
I'm a mostly mobile user. This change to hover is an unholy pain and makes the site much less usable for me.
Could you at least give us the ability to disable it?
Do you have any reasons for the switch? Did anyone request it? Did some user study indicate that people prefer it? Because I'm not really seeing positive responses to the change here or on my feed, and it is frustrating enough to drive me to another site to look up books.