Midu Reads 9 months ago
I never had an issue with the "Mary Sueness" of the book. For me, it just seemed too lengthy. That was why I never got started on the sequel. Most epic fantasies seem too lengthy for me these days :-(
Book Frivolity..... 9 months ago
It is really lengthy, so I understand why people would have an issue with that. I love a good chunky book though.. I think it's growing up on a diet of Wheel of Time.. Hehehe
Midu Reads 9 months ago
I devoured those! Read all but the last three in a month or less. I think that might have messed me up lol
Olga Godim 9 months ago
I agree with your view. It irks me too, when people complain that a hero/heroine are too perfect. So what? It's not a flaw to be good. I'm tired of all the modern heroes who battle alcoholism or are drug addicts. Give me good people as fantasy heroes any day. Life still dishes them crap, and they have to deal with it. Your review, and those of others who give this book 1 or 2 star and whine about Rhapsody's beauty and goodness - they all make me want to read this book. Pity my library doesn't carry it. Perhaps a cheap kindle? I'm going to check Amazon right now. Thanks for the tip.
Olga Godim 9 months ago
Oh, yes, I forgot. Your portrait of Rhapsody - it's perfect! I love it.
Book Frivolity..... 9 months ago
Knowing that you like Sharon Shinn's characters, I think you'll really like Rhapsody!
Book Frivolity..... 9 months ago
And thank you! I'm putting together a bunch of renderings of female fantasy characters. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them... Lol
Olga Godim 9 months ago
Have you ever thought about designing book covers for new books?
Book Frivolity..... 9 months ago
I'd love to.. It's actually my dream to create book covers! I just have no real idea how to get work in that area! Any ideas appreciated! :)
Olga Godim 9 months ago
I did some book covers for free for the wattpad community, but I'm not an artist. I use existing images that are copyright-free. You can try small publishers. There are many of them, although which ones are legit, I can't say. Maybe magazines. Start with offering some free covers and build a portfolio. Maybe make character portraits, like the one in this post, and send them to the authors. Many authors love getting their characters original pictures. Those are just ideas. When you start in the field, you'll probably find even better ways.
Here is a website of one of the best cover artists I know: http://www.ravven.com
Explore it. Maybe you'll find something there that would work for you.