I made dough for the first time for homemade poptarts and ignored the freeze everything suggestion, it makes a difference, lol. I'm so going to implement the cold water hand dip! The flakiness of your pie had my mouth watering, makes me want to not be lazy and make the dough next time I do pie but ugh, I don't have the technique down and struggle. Leaving the skin on the apples disturbs me, too.
I keep going back and looking at your pictures, lol. God, that looks good!
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
The cold everything makes a BIG difference - and the ice hand dealy solution. I posted the pictures of the rolled dough, top and bottom, because LOOK AT THOSE HUNKS OF BUTTER? I really thought I was going to be totally screwed. It really came out brilliantly though.

Homemade poptarts? Stop. I have to try that. Did you just use jam/jelly in the middle?
Murder by Death 4 months ago
1. Oh man, home made pop-tarts... I have a recipe for those somewhere but I've never attempted it.

2. YES! I saw all that butter in the unbaked crust and thought, no way!, that CAN'T work! (Not that I know anything about pie making). If it had been me, I'd have totally screwed up the pie because I wouldn't have been able to let those butter hunks stay. But oh man if that pie tastes half as good as it looks - HEAVEN!!
I used to make homemade poptarts with my kids they are so good, you'll never eat the boxed cardboard ones again. We filled ours with jam or nuttella
They were brown sugar cinnamon. I put up a post with the recipe if you're interested - http://whiskeyinthejar.booklikes.com/post/1559623/tasty-tuesday
Yum, Yes and thank you
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
@ MbD The question is, can lightening strike twice? LOL

We're trying the poptarts - it's on, like Donkey Kong.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
What a fabulous post! Love all the pics, and the pie looks super delish!! I'm ridiculously envious of the 'flake' factor you perfected. It sounds like the real key is to chill and not overwork the dough which is so damn hard to do when you're rolling it out and trying to get the edges crimped.

My all time favorite apple pie recipe is from Sunset magazine, and was originally featured in an issue from the '50s or '60s. It has a crunch top made with pecans, sugar, crushed gram crackers, flour and spices that you sprinkle over the apples and then pour melted butter over before baking. It's a big crowd pleaser. :)
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
Thanks! I've never made a more successful pie. The total chill factor was definitely what did it, me and the pie = chilled to the max. :) Apparently I've always overworked it when mixing in the water. The real test will be if I can ever duplicate this result, LOL.

If you feel up to it, you should share that recipe - it sounds AMAZING!! I can't pass up a candied nut topping.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
I have a marble rolling pin that can be chilled in the freezer, too. I rarely bake anymore, though, since it does a number on my neck and packs on pounds I definitely don't need. :( I'll try to scare up the recipe for you.

Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
I had a plastic rolling pin that could be filled with ice water but I never liked it, the weight or weight distribution just seemed off.
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
@ PoI ~ I want a marble slab for rolling! Listen to me. One happy pie and I want all the stuff.

@ Debbie ~ I can't imagine that working -- I would think it would be sloshy?
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Aaanndd now I have to buy this book, don't I? I mean, my idea of making a pie is buying the stuff in my grocer's freezer section. I've always been intimidated by crust, which is sad, because I could live forever off just pastry crusts. I'd probably be the size of a football stadium and have beri-beri or something, but I'd be happy. :P
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
I think you'd like the book. :) I'd love to hear your thoughts if you happen into it - the rule is though that you have to make a pie! The crust and a little of the fruit pie goo is my favorite part of the pie, so I understand crust-love. I had a grandma-like figure in my life once upon a time that would take all the pie dough scraps and just brush them with milk and sprinkle on cinammon sugar and bake until golden as a 'snack'.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I do this with my puff pastry (store bought of course) scraps. :D
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
It was this year's "Big Library Read" if that helps anyone (meaning your public library's ebook loan program may carry it). Not sure if the global BLR discussion is still up -- not sure if can get to the discussion but the lnk was http://biglibraryread.com/past-titles/art-of-the-pie/

It's often very humid and hot where I live and often cold/damp or cold/dry = flour recipes like crust can get tricky. Loved this book.

On super sticky swampy humid days back when most of us had no air conditioning, we actually froze the butter and grated some of it so it was pea or almond sized before it even hit the dough. The peel on the apples, if thinner peel varieties like Granny Smith and Galas, bakes just fine and even helps avoid "mushiness" (thicker waxier peel on varieties bred for shipping like Red Delicious -- peel those or at least mostly peel them; never the best pie apples on their own anyway).
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
Freezing and grating the butter sounds like a neat trick. Have you tried adding vodka? I have a friend who swears by it.
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
"Adding vodka" to pie crust (or was that autocorrect fail for "freezing vodka")?

I keep regular vodka in the freezer rather than shake over ice for some cocktails.

I've never added alcohol to flour anything prior to whatever browning/cooking was going to happen because was told by my grandmother to add only after or the glutens and caramelizing wouldn't happen as desired. That instead of the soft, flake or the nuttiness it gets you can wind up with too dense or paste tasting. After desired browning/cooking, then work in any desired alcohols. If adding bourbon or brandy to the pie filling, she would even first blind bake crust. Even cautious that the wrong vanilla extracts could contain too much alcohol and throw off recipes.

Might just have been her opinion or something in her area (weather, flour, water source, etc.). She did a lot of chocolate stuff which also made her cautious about when during cooking processes things got added.
Person Of Interest 4 months ago
Just adding it to the pie crust. It's suppose to add more liquid to the dough, making it easier to roll, while limiting the gluten development water promotes since vodka is only about 60% water and 40% ethanol.
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
Hmmm. This sounds like a good excuse to buy vodka (we rarely have hard liqueur in the house, if for no other reason that we have little opportunity to drink it!)
My local library system did this as a group read. I'm always for more pie. I love your pictures my mouth is watering, pie perfection ! I should have joined in with the group after reading this. I am going to grab a copy pf this
Book Cupidity 4 months ago
The Big Library Read is how I picked it up as well. :) It's definitely one I'll probably buy, because if nothing else? I think this would make a good home-warming gift with a rolling pin, etc.