Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Was the author hungry while writing this? Or is there some reason...any reason...why the book seems to focus early on the main character's hunger? I mean seriously. Also, I know I write as you say, clunky, but that quote. *shudders*
I agree, it was strange. I think she was trying to tap into that "real girls eat" idea. Either that, or she doesn't really know how to write poor and struggling.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
If the later, I'd say so. I did not even consider that when you summarized. Also, what time period is this suppose to be in? I somehow missed that this is a period piece.
I'm shaky on details of European history, but my understanding is that Elliot is in late 1800/early 1900 but with altered world history--something to do with Romans. But still in the early industrial era. And with magic. And everything else. I'm re-reading her comments on the GR thread, and did I already say it's a mess? It is.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Then I'm sorry you're re-reading it. Fun times. It would be interesting to see magic with the industrial era...but then that's one of the reasons I loved Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle. Trains and steampunk flying machines but they have wizards and talking/living fire. Awesome.
Oh no, this one doesn't merit re-read. I just skimmed the beginning again to identify what set me off. It's hard to deconstruct while reading--it takes me out of the story.
The Sequestered Nook 9 years ago
@ Degrees of Affection - howl's moving castle is soooo good! My cat is named in honour of Calcifer :-)
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
How cool! I love Calcifer and thought he was one of the best parts of the movie, though everyone was really good. Have you read the book? It's very different but it's great as well.
The Sequestered Nook 9 years ago
I haven't, but I certainly ought to given that I loved the film so much. I'm putting it on my reading list now!
Khanh the Killjoy 9 years ago
I love Wrede's writing, but the Lyra series did nothing for me.
Not at all surprised. They are feeling very dated during my re-read. I think they were special because of the time period--not very much female lead fantasy written by women.
Khanh the Killjoy 9 years ago
Her Dragons series remains one of my favorite MG reads to this day. They are fantastic.
1st Avenue 9 years ago
When time-period fantasies are done well, they're quite an adventure, but when they're shoddy, they're such a chore to get through like this one. Once again, thanks for taking one for the team, Carol.
Oooopf. This sounds painful.
1st Ave and MrsJ--it was. Re-read Mercedes Lackey instead.
LOL! Dang, that's bad. :) When you suggest a re-read instead!
Sandi 9 years ago
Ow! That's exactly what I was thinking Mrs. J! Thanks for the great review!
I was reading Elliot's Crossroads series but stopped because it wasn't finish. Now I have no interest in going back to read it.
Abandoned by user 9 years ago
Well, I already bought this one, so maybe I'll give it a try to see if I agree/disagree. It certainly sounds disappointing. :(
Moonlight, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'd be the first to admit it isn't my style but clunk, clunk!
The Sequestered Nook 9 years ago
Oh well, at least it inspired an awesome review!
Thanks, Nook!
The Sequestered Nook 9 years ago
Thank you! It was a fun read - even though I feel a little guilty taking pleasure in the product of your pain. I hope you've recovered from your headache :-)
only a minor one--probably from furrowing my brow. Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)
I have to admit I enjoyed reading this first book but the second one already fell flat for me and I didn´t bother to read the third one. It didn´t get better in my opinion and I was a bit disappointed because I had high hopes for this series..
No need to worry about 'admitting,' Inara. ;) I confess, I was surprised, because Elliot seems like she's accomplished a lot. Also, it wasn't my genre of choice, which didn't help.