Comments: 11
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I'm looking forward to this one. Do you think the social awkwardness is a reflection of a part of the author in her characters?
Chris Blocker 6 years ago
Possibly. I don't know enough about McCullers' story to say for sure, but it seems likely. I'm very much interested in learning more about her. In fact, I just added a biography about her to my to-read pile.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
I need to do that, too. She seems to have been a fascinating character but I have only read snippets about her, not a proper biography, yet.
Chris Blocker 6 years ago
I learned today that she was writing an autobiography at the time of her death. Unfortunately, it is far from finished and reviews about it are quite mixed. I may give it a try. If you're interested, it's called Illumination and Night Glare.
BrokenTune 6 years ago
Thanks! I will look for it.
6 years ago
McCullers wrote a stage version which ran on Broadway for 501 performances in 1950, starring Ethel Waters, Julie Harris and Brandon de Wilde It was made into an Oscar nominated film in 1952 starring the same three leads.
Chris Blocker 6 years ago
Interesting. I have yet to see any film adaptations of her works. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
6 years ago
There is also a film adaptation of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter starring Alan Arkin.
Chris Blocker 6 years ago
I did know about that one, but it was such a great novel, I'm concerned the film will be a huge letdown. Have you seen both films?
6 years ago
Chis, I saw them a very long time ago. I remember being moved by them but I don't remember details. I could not do a compare and contrast with the books. I do remember that the acting in both films was first rate. Forty years ago, I would have rated them as 'must-see' but I don't know how I would react today.
Chris Blocker 6 years ago
Well, they certainly sound worth checking out. I'll see if my library owns them. Thanks for the recommendations. :)