Familiar Diversions 4 months ago
It might have been offered for free at some point and gotten tens of thousands of downloads, but not necessarily tens of thousands of people reading it.
Obsidian Blue 4 months ago
Why would you compare a book to Marion Zimmer Bradley?! She's still on my never read again list.
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
Yeah, pedophiles are not on my buy list (although admittedly I had been a fan before finding that out).
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
I swear lately many authors approach the book synopsis/description section as if writing a commercial or line after line of promotional tweets.

On Amazon, most of them don't even bother with the quoted praites or editorials section where that stuff should go.

I'm forgiving of a couple of lines of quoted praise, bestelling in and awards, and even advertising tags -- it's the screen after screen burying any real book description that kills me on website's like Amazon.com. Don't even get me started on how crappy that description gets on eInk ereader devices...

It's not like Amazon isn't continually shrinking the book description field anyway. And forcing you to screen past endles opportunities to click on other books/products before showing you things like the page count and the reviews behind that glowing average star rating.
Darth Pony 4 months ago
Yeah, I mostly see it with self-pub, but I see it enough to wonder if someone's opened the QVC School of Book Promotion. The infomercial vibe is so strong sometimes I half expect to see "But wait! There's more!" in some of these spiels.
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
I like your phrasing "QVC School of Book Promotion." There is a place for that and even for actual infommercials about the book (like, a video trailer on gr or YouTube) -- but not the book description. I doubt that's how books are sold or there would be way more tv commercials and mainstream media print ads for them.

At least a physical hardcopy in hand or on a brick-and-mortar bookstore shelf is limited by the book's dimensions on how many praises can be quoted on the book cover/jacket.

Again, I'm okay (maybe an eyeroll or two) with a few lines before and pretty much anything after a book description on the online product page. It's just bizarre when there's no actual book description, sometimes not even an indication of the genre (at least this one indicates fantasy genre). It's a win for indie/self-published authors to get a reader looking at their book's page and unreasonable to expect them to work to get to the book description with millions of other books vying for their attention.

Sometimes I wonder (not enough to buy one) if their paperback edition's back cover has the book description or if they put stuff like this example in microscopic font.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 months ago
"comparing to Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga, Terry Goodkind’s The Sword of Truth, Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles, and David Edding’s The Malloreon." Those are wildly different writing styles and types of stories (e.g Eddings is now YA and Goodkind is horror/torture) . i.e. whoever wrote that didn't read the book or any of those other authors either.
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
Yeah. Plus as huge a Tolkien fan as I am and as much as I loved so many of those he wrote, his characters were not deep and soulful (okay, some angsty romances if you count that as soulful). Part of the point with The Lord of the Rings was that the hobbits were simpler, ordinary folk and many who were doing their duty, loyal, stalwart. He was writing in an age where the genre wasn't very character-driven and for his time his characters and the friendships were well developed. Maybe they watched the most recent movie adaptation but doubt they read Tolkien.
Debbie's Spurts 4 months ago
If I get a headache just trying to read the description -- not going to try the book, either. Read some doozies lately gearing up for Saturday's Readathon.