Comments: 16
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Feel free. Honestly, conversations with you and your Google Play travails led directly to the wording.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Google quotes the first couple of lines of your review on books for sale at Google Play with a link to read rest of the review. Doesn't matter if you do not have a google plus account or email linked; doesn't matter if your goodreads settings say "don't share my reviews with third parties"--if it's on the internet where google search can find it, they'll quote it on a Google Play books for sale.

I don't think it exactly stops them; but it sure does look off if there's a review snippet underneath google play book that says google play cannot use this review and then a link.

More my passive/aggressive flip off to google play than something I'm sure is effective.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
I can snag screenshots for you if you have a good search term or specific books you want me to look at.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
I'm a little curious how goodreads will handle the "not for google play" phrases at top of a review; google play is an amazon competitor so they might leave alone. On the other hand, if currently culpable or have future plans to farm out reviews then they might object.
SilverThistle 6 years ago
A lot of times your profile and reviews won't load for me either Petra. Whatever I do on your page I get the girl reading 404 page. I tried seeing your 'recent posts' and got the girl too. I test it with another page right after trying yours and get on no problem, then I go back to your page and it's the girl again. It's been happening for months now. Not that I'm on GR anymore to still try, but from when all this happened it's been doing it.
Batgrl: Bookish Hooha 6 years ago
Any time you want to test if your reviews are used Petra X just post and we'll all go check. Because I think most of us are really into keeping an eye on how using reviews like this is going to work out. Plus I don't think I'd ever have learned that Google was snagging reviews like that if you hadn't posted about it.
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
Oh, and as furious as I get with Google Play, you should see what lots of authors have to say about them and why they refuse to sell books there. Google = zero respect for copyrights or royalties. Or even prices agreed when listing book...
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
The more I try to figure it out, the more it does seem like at one time some sort of feed/download was done. But, as glitchy as goodreads data is, plus the horrid cache time, plus amazon crappy cloudfront server response, added to whatever cache schedule google books is on -- it could take a week or longer before any changes on goodreads are reflected on google books. Who knows (or if they do, who is willing to admit it?).

I wonder how google play/books handles a DCMA takedown notice over a clipped review?
Debbie's Spurts 6 years ago
I'm thinking that, too; but, not sure how to tell if there was a download via google search bots or via goodreads feed.