Comments: 6
LiliaFord 8 years ago
I like your rule of thumb--if the behavior is criminally threatening or violates a site's TOS then report it to the relevant authorities, otherwise it's not "wrongdoing,' it's free speech.
Debbie's Spurts 8 years ago
Never accomplishes anything fighting it out n review comments or forums (well, unless it makes some lurker report it to site support). And defeats the whole concept of consumer product opinions if too restricted; so far, LOL, amazon hasn't managed to overthrow the FTC.
PistolPete 8 years ago
Hi Debbie, thanks for the ink. Glad to find agreement.
LiliaFord 8 years ago
I was thinking of quoting this in an upcoming blog piece on negative reviewing--is that okay?
Sure.
Debbie's Spurts 8 years ago
Vent away. I still have decades of reading on my kindle TBR; but, I'm now a nook and kobo girl for new purchases.

I pulled all my content (plus family members') from amazon; all my reviews/ratings from goodreads (and some group comments); and moved at least a $1,000 worth of 2014 preorders from kindle to other ereaders. (My eyes make me almost exclusively an ebook reader.)

That's how much I share your vent. And I was reviewing on amazon the first day possible with more than 10K books purchased (admittedly some used).

Pre-self-publish boom I was a top reviewer and a rather "perky" one with lots of 4-5 star reviews (not big on spending a lot of time writing detailed, thoughtful reviews on bad books that already took up too much of my time so those I would rate badly on goodreads and eventually only briefly review on amazon, VB and goodreads).

Post-self-publish boom, my average amazon star rating slipped and so did their attitudes; nevermind what the self-promoting authors did to the community forums. I'm sorry; but, if a book was error-ridden enough it was hard for me to read and definitely not ready for publication -- I write my honest opinion and I don't care if that doesn't promote the book. In fact, that is a way more helpful review to the actual book buyers than my most giddy fanpoodle rave. I know the author behind the is a real person with real life, issues, money difficulties, health issues, family issues, etc. that wrote the things (or at least uploaded). I'm a real person with same real world stuff ongoing who put my time and real world "day job" money into reading it. So? How does that obligate me to write book promotions and if not make me an evil bullying gang of reviewers?

I'm still a bit cross-eyed from having a recent group comment (mine was just to say the author had gone offline when another poster was trying to get their attention and goodreads found that objectionable -- I got a pm from Patrick telling me that if I had a problem with the author to not bring it up n goodreads group. ??? other than saying she went offline the only interaction I had had with the author was answering a librarian question — and that was actually exactly what she wanted and fixed an issue for her. Hadn't even read, shelved, rated, sampled, reviewed or in any way done anything with their books. But, I got censored. And locked out, admittedly temporarily because it turns out author had reported the wrong "Debbie" from commenting and reviewing in amazon ...).

Final straws. But plenty of vent left in me. And damned if I'm going to shut up about books. Or about BBAs that I used to rather lazily track via other goodreads members BBA lists.