Definitely one of your better literary buying impulses!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Discovered when I started reading it that it's also a first edition signed by the author. Double bonus!
The Butler Did It 8 years ago
I guess I will be the very last person to read this because I haven't gotten to it yet. Sounds really good!
Bibliofiend's Bookbag 8 years ago
I love these but they aren't for everyone. There is definitely more appreciation from an avid read of classics. I've grown used to his writing - its very elevated in a way but super creative!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I love the classics connection and I think with book 2 everything will flow a lot more easily, now that I've got a handle on his style.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I'm so glad you liked it! Having just finished it, I can see what you mean. I didn't notice before but yes, he does skip from first POV to others with little to no warning. About half way through the book, I learned to look for the signs, but like you, I had to go back and read a couple of sections. Still, I enjoyed my reread so much. Agree with you Bibliofiend, his writing is very elevated but super creative. That's a great way to explain it.

I feel like this needs an eventual annotated version though.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Also, I wanted to say congratulations, MbD, on completing your Reading Challenge!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Thanks! It will be nice to just cruise through the last month of the year.
Bibliofiend's Bookbag 8 years ago
Congrats on your challenge as well! I'm about 8 away from meeting mine of 300 :) Have you ever read any of his other series?
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Thanks!

No, this is my first Jasper Fforde - but definitely not my last. I've heard really good things about the nursery rhyme series too; have you read those?
I couldn't get into the Nursery Crime series, myself.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I personally loved the Nursery Crimes series but I know others who didn't. It's...a bit more mind boggling when it comes to literary characters and how they act. I like his take on all of it and love the crossovers between this and Thursday Next. I think...the NC series should technically start after the second or third (probably 3rd) book in the Next series but it's different enough to not make that necessary. It's more for the enjoyment of how his books all work together.
Bibliofiend's Bookbag 8 years ago
I did like the Nursery Crimes books and actually taught it w/ a college writing course to good reviews.

Anyone read the Shades of Grey book?
Bibliofiend's Bookbag 8 years ago

Anyone read the Shades of Grey book?
8 years ago
Glad you liked the book! It's one of my favorites series. I actually liked the Nursery Crime books more believe it or not. But ugh, I disliked Shades of Grey.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I own Shades of Grey but have yet to read it. I've heard mixed reviews but truthfully, it's been more about being in the right frame of mind to read Fforde. If you aren't willing to focus solely on the book, you're just not going to get much out of them. I may try to set up reading all his books next year. So many options.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
This is exactly why The Eyre Affair took me as long as it did: I kept putting off picking it back up because I knew I wasn't going to have a stretch of un-interrupted time to concentrate on it (Husband: "oh, sorry, just one more thing...", rinse and repeat).
I am now envisioning your husband as Columbo.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
rofl... looks wise he'll age closer to Dick van Dyke in Diagnoses Murder. But I loved Columbo as a kid...