nospin 8 years ago
You are right about the two types of amateur sleuths. Now that you mentioned it, I realize when a series veers from the first type to the second type is when I lose interest in it.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I suspect it's an easier write for the author; the first type requires a lot more subtlety and finesse; a much craftier use of language and scene. The second type is obvious and therefore requires less creative work.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I Love it!
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I remember that's one thing I didn't like about The Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery I read several months ago. People did talk to her but often she was setting up the meeting and all but leading the witness and actually breaking into places to help HER POLICE BROTHER IN LAW! I was like...um, no. You're right, there are two and I too prefer the first type. I've seen the second type work but it's a very delicate balance and I tend to enjoy it less. We should set up shelves labeled Solved by conversation and Sledgehammer.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
If I didn't have so many books I'd have to sort, I'd totally do the shelf thing, it's a great idea!

Sadly, the conversation shelf would be much smaller than the sledgehammer shelf.

I'll try to remember to start tagging my reviews though....
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I'm thinking of starting too and then fixing the others as I reread them. Truthfully, some kinda fall into both camps, depending on how nitpicky you're going to be about the sledgehammer type. I don't have a problem with a person setting up meetings as the story progresses, etc. I just have a problem when they start gathering evidence, etc. You can't tell me that in real life that wouldn't get the evidence thrown out of court.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I'll definitely think more about it as I go forward; you're right it is a sliding scale more often than it is an either/or.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago