Abandoned by user 8 years ago
You didn't let the side down at all! I agree with your assessment, and felt that this one was a pretty weak entry - although that bums me out, because I love reading about colonial India! I've moved on to Locked Rooms, which is set in San Francisco.
I thought The Game was OK, and Locked Rooms really good.
Abandoned by user 8 years ago
You are the second person who has mentioned that Locked Rooms is good!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Oddly, while our assessments end up the same, we get there from opposite directions: I have never been at all intrigued by India, so while I expected this to be the book I liked least in the series, it was the parts about India I ended up loving.
Abandoned by user 8 years ago
I think it is my experience with The Far Pavilions that makes me love reading about colonial India! Also, probably, The Secret Garden.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Ugh, for me I'm not sure which is worse, the gun room or the toy room. *shivers*
I as well have never been terribly interested in India...but those parts are often what I love best of this book. I like that King causes me to care about these places so much.

The Locked Rooms is one of my favorite later books and I can't wait to see what you both think of it.

What did you think of the haircut? The other's reaction to it remains one of my favorite parts of this story.
Abandoned by user 8 years ago
Re: the haircut. Now, that's commitment to a cover story. Also, poor Holmes. He's so bugged by it, well into Locked Rooms!
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I know! It's one of those moments where you know they do actually love each other. They may not show it the way others might, but they really do. Also, I don't know what else could have been done. No way to hide that much hair under a wig!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
That's right! I read that and thought: "Oh boy, Holmes is going to be pissed!" but I was secretly sort of relieved - I was cringing when she described bleaching the dye out of her hair and comparing it to straw.