Evans 7 years ago
This is something I've been noticing more and more recently. I read the third book in the 'Candy-Coated' series last week and the editing was just as bad: medal instead of metal, manor instead of manner, peddle instead of pedal, and aerobatics instead of acrobatics. Lots of other small stuff, too. Really irritating, because I like the series and this ruined my enjoyment of the story. It was bad enough that I wondered if maybe they had uploaded the wrong file to the Kindle store.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
Sounds like it's becoming more common to just rely on spelling and grammar checkers. Not enough editors trying to crank out too many books? Whatever the reason, it's unfortunate - I know of 3 people who've taken the book off their buy/read lists because of the poor editing, and the story is worth reading.
Yeah, that's what it smells like to me. And the words are actual words, just the wrong ones, so spellcheck doesn't catch it.
Jenny Schwartz 7 years ago
That cover is gorgeous! I have cover envy (and am working on a lighthouse story... so there you go. Obsessed!)
Murder by Death 7 years ago
It is a great cover isn't it? I'm partial to illustrated covers myself, but I think the lighthouse is a definite plus (and the cat). :)
7 years ago
I had this problem with a book off Netgalley. It was a book I was excited to read. I dropped everything else for it. When I started it though, I truly believe it hadn't been edited. Not just couple mistakes, but at all. It was painful. I started my feedback to the publisher with "this book broke my heart". And then kindly said the book needs an editor, it's unreadable and unprofessional. That book still stays with me cuz I loved the premise so much and you could tell there was a solid story in there.

We'll, I won't be reading this cozy, and I'm a sucker for lighthouses.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
I has a similar experience with a very promising story that was self-published by the author. You could tell, the plot and the characters were there, but she'd obviously put it out there without even having anyone read it over. Sentences weren't complete, sometimes they just ended abruptly, wrong words used, missing words. If sentences were complete they sometimes didn't make any sense. That was the last self-pub book I ever read "cold" - now I have to see a lot of good feedback before I'll even consider it. It's hard to see good stories treated so badly.
Olga Godim 7 years ago
Some well-known writers have an option 'no-editor' with major publishers. The results (the ones that I read) are always dismal.
Murder by Death 7 years ago
Really? Why would they do that? Does it raise the author's % of sales price? Is it just vanity or ego (I don't need anybody correcting my English!), or maybe just a preference for working with an independent? I didn't know about this, thanks for sharing!