Murder by Death 5 years ago
I hope I'm still around when you do - I'd like to hear what you think of it. I could have gone on a bit more, but I was aiming for brevity. ;)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I'm just starting to figure out the cataloging - and it's pretty great cataloguing, I have to admit. The phone app works really well too for scanning stuff in (I haven't actually tried to use it for anything else). But I won my lifetime membership; I don't think I'd pay for it either unless I had no where else to go (although at least it's just a one time fee, not an on-going).
Tannat 5 years ago
The dissimulo was a bit gratuitous, but I always considered it as a necessary consequence not of Punch's possession of the person but of acting through the person. It's like the stick that comes from nowhere; it's part of the character's identity. If it helps, its consequences are explored in the rest of the series.

I don't remember the scene on the train, but if something occurs to me when I reread it, I'll let you know.

And it's too bad your copy was full of errors. At least you weren't forced to read the Americanized version of a British author's book?
Murder by Death 5 years ago
No, thankfully, it's the fully British version. Even though a few things went over my Yank head, I kept thinking how wrong it would have felt to read an Americanized version of it.

Re: the dissimulo: that was almost what I came up with. I figured the first ghost (Pyke was it?) did the sequestering and then when Punch used the ghost to come through, (and presumably act) that's when the dissimulo kicked it. I just wished the author had indicated whether it was done for kicks because that's consistent with Punch's character, or because it was a necessary by-product of allowing him to come through and act.
I should like to read this, but my library has it not, alas.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Bummer. It is worth the read if you can find a copy somewhere.
Well, there's the "I don't drive" issue, which makes things complicated.
Tannat 5 years ago
Perhaps you will stumble upon it on sale somewhere? Or whenever you happen to be at a used bookstore?
Yep, I'll just have to keep an eye out for it.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Yes - it does and he did, but I interpreted it as a general explanation for what happens when the dissimulo spell was used (or too much magic of any kind), and I was left confused about *why* the dissumulo spell had to be used in the first place. Pyke was able to inhabit others and influence their behaviour, as well as the people in the same general area, without having to do the face changing thing - so why do it? I thought maybe it was the only way for Punch to come through and act, but it was never said so explicitly.
Tannat 5 years ago
Because it wasn't really Pyke, it was Punch, and Punch is a jerk? I'm going to have to find time to reread this.