BrokenTune 1 year ago
Have you noticed that Mr Fairlie, even though rejected to give any consequence to his niece's maid's bosom, seems to mention it quite a lot? His account cracked me up, but yes, he is so pathetic.

I agree with this book having been a game changer in its time. It has quite few turns that I did not expect - and the narrative style from multiple POV must have been quite exciting, too. I like it, but I did have to snort when it came to "The Narrative of the Tombstone".
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Yeah, that bosom got a lot of air time didn't it? I didn't think of it at the time but as soon as you mentioned it, I immediately remembered the scene.

oh crap! I just realised the damn spoiler tags not working!!!!! Fixing it now... dammit!
Murder by Death 1 year ago
The tombstone narrative was quite an added touch - I had to look at it a couple of times to make sure I read it right. I also thought it was interesting that her date of marriage was included; an interesting statement on priorities of the time (can you imagine that being the standard now? I'm imagining Elizabeth Taylor's headstone....).
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I love that Walter seems less obsessed with romantic twaddle in the Third Epoch. It's still there, but it's lost its lovesick gushiness.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Yes! You've gotten that far now - he's so much better!! There's a bit where I sorta wanted to smack him again, but I'll hang off on that until I know you've gotten there.

Is it just me or is Laura possibly one of the earliest special snowflakes ever? Not that she didn't go through hell, but even before that happened she seemed to be quite the madonna...
BrokenTune 1 year ago
I'm down with a stomach bug today, and am using TWIW to keep me distracted. So, I'll probably finish sooner than I thought.

Walter has just left the lawyers in Chancery Lane.
What is it with all the dates? And that no one can remember them? (Or that anyone has questioned anyone who'd met Laura before "she" fell ill?)

The tombstone was quite a striking part. Tho, I had not noticed the marriage dates. Makes me wonder when the custom seized to be popular. Was it ever popular or was that something that is only given a place in this book? I'll keep a look out for it next time I pass one of the old church graveyards. It's not something I noticed before.

Oh, and Laura is special. :) But then the book isn't about women heroines, and her being any less "special" may take away from the chivalry of Walter?
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Yikes! Hope the stomach bug doesn't stick around long. The BFF got hit with the nasty one going around her part of EU on NY day and mentioned it's turning into quite an epidemic there.

The dates are important; it makes sense later when he actually stops keeping the reader in the dark.

I was getting pissed-off (not, drunk, ha!) that nobody thought to ask the freaking gardener. He was the only one left besides the housekeeper and the dumb maid and nobody thought to ask him. When Walter did get around to seeing him, he never asked either.

I was wondering if he took artistic license with the tombstone dates or not - I've never seen it at home, but we have very few monument cemeteries left, just 'memorial' parks. The ones here in Melbourne are all walled in so I've never been through one of them.

Laura bugged in the third epoch; I was not comfortable with Collins' portrayal of her in parts, but that might just be me and my repressive self. :)
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Finished it.

I must admit, I kinda lost interest in the 3rd Epoch. Once we knew she was safe, it just kinda meandered on and on and on...
Murder by Death 1 year ago
By the time I got to the third epoch I just wanted it DONE. But I did find the scene with Percival good, and I really liked the very last bit with Fosco, who *had* to have influenced Doyle's Moriarty at least a little bit, even sub-consciously. I saw so many similarities.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Doyle had to be influenced by TWIW. Abosolutely. By the end I actually quite, well, "liked" is not the right word, but I guess I respected him for being such a good villain. An, yes, the scene with Percival... I really liked Pesca by the end. Who know he was the one to put fear of God into Fosco!
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Agreed. Except for that whole sorta creepy thing with Marion (was he trying to seduce her at one point??) I admired him for his excellence at villainry (made up word), and of course his love of animals. :D Collins totally redeemed Pesca in my eyes at the end.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Absolutely, no way is villainry a made-up word.

As for Fosco, all great villains have had difficult times and needs, too. Look at Dr. Evil.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Good to know - my spell check balked at it. :P