BrokenTune 5 years ago
You can't multi-task? You have cats. I thought it was a requirement.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
You'd think so, but no, I'm shockingly hopeless at it. It's why I can bake, but not really cook (unless it's a one pot meal). If the tv is on, I can't hold a conversation; if I'm at the computer, or reading, the world could crash down on me and I wouldn't know it. Almost quite literally: years ago when I worked from home, I was on the computer and a private plane crashed behind my house and it wasn't until a client who knew where I lived called me to ask if I was ok that I had any idea what was going on in my own backyard. (To be fair there was no explosion; I like to think I'd have noticed an actual explosion). A corner of my mind heard the impact, but dismissed it as a dump-truck. It was embarrassing... he was all "omg, are you ok? Isn't it horrible?" and I was "huh? what are you talking about?".

Fortunately, MT excels at multitasking, so we all survive pretty well. :D
BrokenTune 5 years ago
Hahaha. An actual plane crash? Wow.
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Yeah, I thought he was trying to pull some weird joke until he told me to put the phone down and go look (my office was at the front of the house). :P
JL's Bibliomania 5 years ago
I've heard of hyperfocus, but that's impressive.

Looking forward to answering these once I'm home (late night at work bashing out a draft report)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
It's often useful, but often embarrassing.
5 years ago
The plane incident is amazing. I get annoyed when serious things happen while I'm reading like seriously, your car battery decides to die NOW when I'm on chapter 17. And I feel like such a jerk later. Lol I wish I could just tune out. It could get me out of things like no I didn't hear the phone ring when you called about your car dying. As you can see, I need help. Great answers! :)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
MT was not impressed with this skill of mine when we first met. He'd tell me all this stuff while I was reading or at the computer and none of it registered. He's still not at all impressed, lol, but at least he knows now that he has to make eye contact with me first or, you know, throw something at my head, to get my attention before he starts talking.

I like knowing I can concentrate on something but I wish it wasn't so all-or-nothing.
5 years ago
I'm curious, in a crisis wouldn't it come in handy though? Wouldn't you have single-mindedness and become wonder woman? :)
Murder by Death 5 years ago
Yes, IF I'm aware the crises happened. I'm half-joking about this, but embarrassingly only half. The joke here is that I'm the one the bank robbers want in the bank when they rob it; I'd not only make a lousy witness but I'd likely not know it was being robbed (b/c I'd be reading while I waited, of course.)

Recently, I was working in the garden and MT was in the kitchen (they're just a few yards apart) and he slipped with the knife and almost cut the top of his finger off. He had to yell at me a few times before it registered, but once it did... yes, I was all over it, which he probably saw as a mixed blessing, lol. Once I focus I can be quite bossy in my single-mindedness. :D

So yes, if I know what's going on, I'm not likely to panic and my focus helps with problem solving. But in everyday life, I think a lot of people assume I'm rudely ignoring them. :
Rane Aria 5 years ago
Love me some iced tea while reading, just something comfy about it
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I have a thermos with a popup straw in it (3 of them actually) so I'm never without my iced tea. :D
Murder by Death 5 years ago
I look forward to reading your answers!. :)