I have a soft spot for Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy. My grandma's sewing room walls were filled with Harlequin and Holt/Plaidy novels. They are some of the first "adult" books I remember reading. I loved snuggling up in the piles of quilt tops and batting with Plaidy's historical fiction.
Peregrinations 2 weeks ago
Holt is a pen name for Eleanor Hibbert, who among other pen names wrote as Jean Plaidy and Philippa Carr. Hibbert left a legacy of 191 books and at probate, her literary estate was valued at almost £9 million pounds. I was hooked on Holt in the early 60s but then discovered Heyer and Regency romance and never read much Holt after her first few titles.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
It sounds like I have a ton of options then when I decide to pick up another. Which is good, because I'm not necessarily a fan of mummies and Egypt. :P
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
'Trope-tastic'. (he,he)

The Holt I slogged through last Fall also kept me going because of the writing/prose. But, whoa boy, did I ever struggle with the insta-lust/love and a bunch of plot and character related stuff. I'm pretty sure I read Curse along with a few of her other books 30+ years ago, but unfortunately I don't remember a thing about them now. This one might be worth re-reading just to see if it jogs my memory. Egyptology/archeology related stories are favorites of mine. :)
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
You're actually planning to read a book about a love triangle?! I'm, um. speechless. :P
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
You lost me... what book? Do most of Holt's other books have love triangles? Cuz I'm definitely not excited about that...
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Sorry about that. I meant 'The Clasp'. The gem on the cover caught my eye, and then when I read the blurb, I had to laugh. :)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Ahh... yes, the blurb does make it sound like a love triangle, but I don't think it is. I think it's one of those unrequited pining things that never comes up as an actual love triangle. At least I HOPE that's what it is... it's the impression I got from other blurbs/reviews. I've read her non-fiction essays and she's funny and this sounds like a mystery/treasure hunt kind of thing, so I got sucked into buying it. :P