Sorry kids, no feet. 12 months ago
I have a soft spot for Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy. My grandma's sewing room walls were filled with Harlequin and Holt/Plaidy novels. They are some of the first "adult" books I remember reading. I loved snuggling up in the piles of quilt tops and batting with Plaidy's historical fiction.
Peregrinations 12 months ago
Holt is a pen name for Eleanor Hibbert, who among other pen names wrote as Jean Plaidy and Philippa Carr. Hibbert left a legacy of 191 books and at probate, her literary estate was valued at almost £9 million pounds. I was hooked on Holt in the early 60s but then discovered Heyer and Regency romance and never read much Holt after her first few titles.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
It sounds like I have a ton of options then when I decide to pick up another. Which is good, because I'm not necessarily a fan of mummies and Egypt. :P
Person Of Interest 12 months ago
'Trope-tastic'. (he,he)

The Holt I slogged through last Fall also kept me going because of the writing/prose. But, whoa boy, did I ever struggle with the insta-lust/love and a bunch of plot and character related stuff. I'm pretty sure I read Curse along with a few of her other books 30+ years ago, but unfortunately I don't remember a thing about them now. This one might be worth re-reading just to see if it jogs my memory. Egyptology/archeology related stories are favorites of mine. :)
Person Of Interest 12 months ago
You're actually planning to read a book about a love triangle?! I'm, um. speechless. :P
Murder by Death 12 months ago
You lost me... what book? Do most of Holt's other books have love triangles? Cuz I'm definitely not excited about that...
Person Of Interest 12 months ago
Sorry about that. I meant 'The Clasp'. The gem on the cover caught my eye, and then when I read the blurb, I had to laugh. :)
Murder by Death 12 months ago
Ahh... yes, the blurb does make it sound like a love triangle, but I don't think it is. I think it's one of those unrequited pining things that never comes up as an actual love triangle. At least I HOPE that's what it is... it's the impression I got from other blurbs/reviews. I've read her non-fiction essays and she's funny and this sounds like a mystery/treasure hunt kind of thing, so I got sucked into buying it. :P