BrokenTune 9 months ago
Ah,...... I have this book on my kindle. It just got pushed back a bit in the read next queue.
Murder by Death 9 months ago
Yeah, it might be easier to read than to listen to; I think his excellent narration hurts him here because it's *his* thoughts he's voicing. Reading it would have allowed me to skim and unconsciously slant it to be more palatable (if that makes sense).
Book Cupidity 9 months ago
I can see how knowing exactly how this intended to be read could hurt something like this, sometimes ambiguity helps. I agree that reading it rather than listening might take the edge off on some examples. I like the 'hysterically funny' part though...
Murder by Death 9 months ago
When he was funny, he really was laugh out loud funny. I hadn't expected that (the laugh out loud part) and it's what kept me going instead of DNFing it after I heard the first confront bit about animals. I really liked the essays that were recorded live the best, because he was able to use the proper comedic timing to great effect.
Familiar Diversions 9 months ago
I think my favorite book of his is Me Talk Pretty One Day, but I can't recall if that one also had upsetting animal bits.
Murder by Death 9 months ago
I had been trying to get When You Are Engulfed in Flames but this one was the only one my library had (in audio). I have heard from other people too that Me Talk Pretty One Day was probably his best, so if I decide to give him another try, that's likely the one I'll try to get.
Midu Reads 9 months ago
I liked this one and Me Talk Pretty One Day enough to buy When You Are Engulfed in Flames too! Btw, there's another one, a bestiary, which might out your doubts to rest.