Tannat 2 weeks ago
Right, I forgot to mention that.
Carpe Librum 2 weeks ago
Ok. I need to start this now!
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Lol it's your own book club!
I want to re-read this, and I swear we have it, but it's gone walkabout.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Aww...
Well, we've recently been re-arranging bookshelves (because we got new ones!), and these things happen when you do that.
And I passed right by this at the library. Should I or shouldn't I? Walked out without it. &$#@! ugh.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
The description of the MC is *almost* plagiaristic (and I mean that with admiration - NOT accusation). I've just started listening to Stephen Fry's Sherlock Holmes on Friday, and then I picked this up and was all 'wait, what am I reading?!?' - first, the MC's name is Baskerville, and he looks EXACTLY like Holmes right down to the fits of melancholy alternating with fits of energy. He's got the whole spooky deduction thing going on too! He even has his own Watson in the form of the narrator and chronicler, Adso. :)
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
I just love this book, but I didn´t get the Sherlock reference at all ;). I hope you and Tannat will both enjoy it.
What do you think of the Stephen Fry narration of the Sherlock novels? I´m almost finished with The Sign of Four and I´m ejoying it immensely. I don´t think that I will get bored by this audiobook anytime soon.
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Oh, wow, I didn't know about the nod to Holmes, either. Maybe I'll give it a listen next as I already have it. Am downloading it now. :)
Tannat 2 weeks ago
@Lillelara: This is my third read...
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
@Lillelara: I've only just started the Fry narration but so far it's excellent! I love Stephen Fry though. I'm read the stories themselves so many times, I'm really looking forward more to Fry's introductions. :)

POI: let me know what you think of the translation? I'm wondering if I'd get more out of this book in audio because there's a lot of latin/french so far and my internal voice is fumbling a bit. :P
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Yeah, next time I read this I should brush up on Latin first. If you need to understand the Latin for plot, it does get translated, I think, so if it isn't translated you can more or less assume it's just atmosphere (although it does add to the context).
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
MbD: I've only listened to the intro and then the political milieu Adso recounts to set the stage for the mission Brother William and he will embark on. I think it's going to require lots of concentration to keep things straight, though, and the Latin and French probably won't help.
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
Ohhh, I didn't know that.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
There's also a labyrinthine library.
Char's Horror Corner 2 weeks ago
There is no bigger sucker for books about libraries, bookstores, and...well, books, than I. :)