Darth Pedant 6 years ago
The g is soft. :)
Murder by Death 6 years ago
Thank you - I've never, ever, known a Gemma, so it's always been one of those words I have only ever seen in print. :)
Tannat 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure you have to build up to earn an evil nemesis. Unless the dead woman was the one with the evil nemesis.
Murder by Death 6 years ago
Nope - main character has the evil nemesis, who becomes the evil nemesis immediately upon their first meeting. Worse, it was a police detective, who should a. not be so ridiculously biased and b. should at least show a level of professionalism in their work. AND it was a woman, which does nothing to combat stereotypes.
Tannat 6 years ago
Ugh.
I'm trying to remember how Gemma was pronounced when Geemma Files won the Shirley Jackson award... I believe the way I remembered was like Gem with a ma at the end and now I'm unsure of my memory.
Gemma! Oh my, the shock I had when I first heard it pronounced aloud with the soft "g" (though it made perfect sense as soon as I realized it's a derivative of "gem"). I read through the entire Noel Streatfield series of "Gemma" books as a kid, always pronouncing it to myself with the hard "G", and if I said it aloud to anybody, no-one corrected me. Since then, I've met people / seen characters named Gemma (latest is in "Agents of Shield" on TV), and they're universally soft-G Gemmas. Still, I suppose the rule, at least for real people is that you pronounce it the way they do. Hard-G "Gillian" for instance, seems all wrong to me, but there are definitely a few folks who like it that way. My real-life name is somewhat uncommon in North America (and it has a "g" in it); I try to pronounce it clearly for folks once or twice, and after that I shrug and respond to anything that's fairly close. :)
Murder by Death 6 years ago
Is your RL name Gaelic? I admit I struggle a lot with Gaelic names if I see them in print before I hear them pronounced; if I only hear it, I'm usually not too bad at getting close.

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who instinctively used the hard 'g' in my head when reading Gemma, and I agree: if I heard Gillian with a hard G I'd twitch. :)