BrokenTune 1 year ago
A home trebuchet project? I'll look out for this one. :)
Murder by Death 1 year ago
I'll definitely post about it, although it probably won't be until November-ish, when the nieces are next in town - although some pre-planning/testing might be necessary before then. :)
Is this decent science? Not dumbed down? And no loooong pointless, irrelevant personal stories?
Murder by Death 1 year ago
The science is decent, yes. But I thought about you when I wrote this review; I'm not sure if you'd find her personal anecdotes irrelevant or not. They're not, strictly speaking, irrelevant; they all lead in or introduce the concept she's talking about (i.e. the story about the trebuchet was an intro into rotation, pivot points, objects travelling a straight line, etc), but sometimes they felt a tiny bit "look at me and my adventurous life", which is why I ultimately knocked off 1/2 a star. I stand by that too, but in fairness, it's a book about science in everyday life, so if she doesn't use her life, whose should she use?

Definitely decent science though - I have a whole new understanding of mobile phone towers, and the vascular system of trees. Not to mention the toaster. :)
Thank you. This book has been on and off my to buy list for a while now. It is back on. :) Using a personal story to make a relevant point is one thing and perfectly acceptable. Blathering for 400 pages on how you got a headache and couldn't dive to the underwater ruins the whole 900 page book is about; or going on and on about the scenery and the car trip, is a waste of trees, ink and my time.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Ah - I definitely can't remember any anecdotes that were like that; I'd have found that unforgivably tedious too. The only anecdote I can remember that might meander a bit is the trebuchet one - but it was a good one and honestly I was so indignant on her behalf over the whole thing, it didn't feel like a digression at all. (I won't spoil it.)

I hope you enjoy it, and fingers crossed you aren't disappointed by it. :)
Murder by Death 1 year ago
Oh! But in the interest of full disclosure; the science is a bit... not dumbed down, but... how do I put this? She is really very good at explaining the more advanced scientific concepts in a way that will make sense to everyone, not just those that have a head for science. I found a lot of her explanations very visual; the cell phone towers, for example: she uses colours (because one of her core arguments is that all lightwaves have color even if we can't see them) to help make it really easy to imagine how they work.

So, while not dumbed down, it's very accessible.
Accessible is fine. I'm not an expert on most science fields and I lend my books to my grandmother after I've read them. She is 92 years old and her English is not so good.
It gives ideas for "kitchen science"? That's great.
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Are you considering the trebuchet as "kitchen science"? I would. :)
Back garden science!
BrokenTune 1 year ago
Haha. Fair enough. :)
Murder by Death 1 year ago
It gives both! :) Kitchen science suggestions include how to tell a raw egg from a cooked one, using carbonated water/lemonade and raisins to illustrate buoyancy and surface tension (I think, I might have focused too much on the dancing raisins), and getting a hardboiled egg into a bottle (and back out). There's also a buttered toast experiment that she does not actually recommend trying at home unless you're ok with the resultant mess. :)

The trebuchet is back garden science, of course; out of range of cats and chickens (spouses and uncles are fair game though).
Hol 1 year ago
This sounds great. I'll get to it on free read Friday.
Murder by Death 1 year ago
I hope you enjoy it. :)
My library actually has this one...
Elentarri's Book Blog 11 months ago
I liked this book alot! :)
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. She's good isn't she? I'm taking my second read through more slowly than the first time around in the hope that some of the finer details stick in my memory better. :)
BrokenTune 11 months ago
MbD, did you ever follow up on the home trebuchet idea?
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Not yet; it's still on the to-do list though. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with the nieces the last time they were here, just a couple of hours one afternoon, and the youngest one has the energy of a crack-addicted ferret so we had to use a divide-and-conquer approach (MT got the whirling dervish - I got the quiet one and we spent the time looking at my dinosaur pop-up books :D )

Hopefully the next time they're here, we'll have a lot more time; the oldest one can travel without car seat now, so we're making plans to do the science museum and that day will be the perfect trebuchet day. ::grin::