Elentarri's Book Blog 4 weeks ago
Sounds good. How do your buddy reads work? I've never participated in one before.
Murder by Death 4 weeks ago
Typically, we create a tag, pick a start date and ... that's pretty much it, lol. We don't hold to a lot of structure or anything because everyone reads at different rates or has different schedules. We post reading updates frequently and try to remember to use a tag (which is more important for the bigger buddy reads, so you can find all the posts) and conversation usually starts from there. It sounds a bit scattered, but since it seems each reader takes something different away from the same text, each person's post tends to generate completely different conversations, so it works. :)

Hope you'll join us?
BookLikes 4 weeks ago
Why not to create a book club for the book? :) It would be super easier to invite readers and keep all up to date with the discussion, plus we'd love to give it a shout out among BL community :)
Murder by Death 4 weeks ago
This is a very valid question, lol. The book club setup here is so nicely thought out and it works really well, but when we've tried it in the past, people still held all their discussion in the post comments. I don't know how to explain it, other than maybe, since the Reading Progress posts were in our dashboard and right in front of us, that's what we responded to?

If that's the case (I don't know what other people's thoughts are) then I wonder if there would be a way to add Book Clubs you've joined to your dashboard, in such a way that you could easily respond to the threads? That would give us the great functionality of the book clubs but also work with the spontaneity of our conversations. I know that's a big change, and maybe others have other reasons, but it seems a shame that we don't get more use out of the book clubs.

I'm more than willing to try it again with this read though - if everyone else would like to give it a go? It would be a way to reach out to other users that might like to join in but aren't in any of our friends lists' that they would see the invite. :)

What does everyone think?
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
I'm interested in doing this as a book club, too. I find it hard sometimes to catch all the updates of BRs on the feed, so having this as club may make this part (catching all of the updates) easier.

I love your idea of looking into adding club conversations easily accessible from the dash.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Ok, I'll set up a book club group tomorrow. We can set it up as a general buddy read group, so if it works well we can use it again for future reads, or I can do it specifically for this group. Thoughts?
BookLikes 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the remarks. Noted! :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 weeks ago
I will join your buddy read if you don't mind? I've been meaning to read the book but something else always comes up first. ;) I've never done a buddy read so have no idea which method (blog vs book club) would work better. I rather like the idea of having everything in one place for the book, but whatever works for everyone else.
Murder by Death 4 weeks ago
We not only do not mind, we welcome you! The more the merrier and I for one look forward to conversations with you about the book (given how much you alone have plumped up my science TBR ::grin::).

I love the idea of everything being in one spot, and I think everyone else does too (from feedback about the book club functionality) but oddly enough, in the ones I've participated in, all the discussion ends up happening in the post comments anyway - I can only conclude it's the spontaneity of seeing someone's post update and wanting to comment right away.

Hopefully the others will chime in with their thoughts. I'm happy to create a club if we all think it would work.
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 weeks ago
Whatever method results in discussion. Most book groups I "attend" on GoodReads don't go anywhere. Everywhere just posts reviews and that's it. No discussion. :(
Murder by Death 4 weeks ago
Sometimes, that happens here too, but not often, though when it does, it's a letdown. I think a lot of it depends on the combination of book and participants. (We had one here for a Georgette Heyer book that was amazing both for the level of conversation generated and fun.) I have high hopes for this book because I think there's a lot of potential for different points of discussion.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Hey, was the Heyer one the one with cover with the lady in a yellow dress and the guy that seemed to have weird legs?

If so, that was fun - and I didn't even read it.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Also, I'm really looking forward to BR here - much more than on GR - it seems a different dynamic here when the BR takes off. As MbD said, it does not always take off, but it is good fun when it does.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I couldn't remember the name of it when I wrote the above comment, but it was Venetia - and yes, I think it was that cover. It was one of the all time best buddy reads I've ever participated in! I think what made it so much fun was that, although the book was one of the better examples of Heyer's work, there was still enough to poke fun at, or take outright exception to, that the conversations just took off.
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
So, when do we start?
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
We have an almost firm date of 15 July - BrokenTune has to wait until the copy her library has is returned (which, I think she mentioned, was the 12th or 13th?).
Elentarri's Book Blog 3 weeks ago
Works for me. I've had the book sitting on my e-reader for several months now.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Yep. I should have the book ready to start on the 15th. :)
I'm here, too (it was suddenly a hectic week) - now I just have to remember to get this from the library! (We have "Founding Gardeners," as well, which I got my parents for Christmas - they loved it.)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Yay! This is going to be fun. :D
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I eyed Founding Gardeners when I was tidying up the database... but I'm not even reading the synopsis until we've read this one. If this is as good as I hope it is, there will be several more of her books added to my piles. :)
JL's Bibliomania 2 weeks ago
I'm torn - This looks interesting, but I don't want to DNF last week's Free Friday book that I am halfway through. And I know that there is no way I can even try to keep up with the crowd, especially if I don't abandon all of the other Booklikes-opoly selections waiting in my queue.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Well, it doesn't have to be a Free Friday read, so you needn't give up the one you're reading. :)

You're very welcome to join us - I've read section 1, but I'm not going to get to it again until at least later tonight, if not tomorrow, so I won't be blazing ahead of anyone. :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Please join us. You don't have to rush read. I've had unexpected issues which will delay reading, so finishing the book will take me a while too.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
No blazing through the book from my end, either. I have a lot of other things going on in the next few days and won't get much reading in after this weekend.

Please don't let perceived reading speeds put you off. It's a really good book (so far) and we'd love to have you join in.
JL's Bibliomania 2 weeks ago
Well I got a copy from the library today, and also found that the audiobook is available through Hoopla. I've got a long car-trip with my sons in the next few days. We'll have to see if the audio grabs them.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Yay!
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
@JL: Paperback or hardcover? I'm hoping someone posts something on the quality of the Vintage paperback edition. So far I like the book and I'm considering splurging on the hardcover, but it's twice the price of the paperback. :(
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Yes! Welcome - we're really (as you can see) all glad to have you join us for the read. And I'm super curious what you think of it in audio - whether the narrator is any good with it or not.
JL's Bibliomania 2 weeks ago
Library has the hardcover with the black dustjacket. I'm glad I have access to both print and audio formats so I can see the pictures. I won't be reading/joining the group discussion until I've read the appropriate section.