Peregrinations 12 months ago
I loved Stuff Matters. What about the Roach books (Gut and the others)? I didn't like "How to Bake Pi"
Elentarri's Book Blog 12 months ago
I loathed Stuff Matters simply because the author kept blathering about himself so much.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
The Roach books I'd definitely be up for - they just haven't made it on to my to-buy, or maybe or Planning to Read lists yet.

I'm guessing I'd probably like but not love Stuff Matters then, based on both your feelings about it, lol. :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 12 months ago
Velvet Worms is interesting, so is Atoms Under the Floorboard after the first chapter. I've been meaning to read the Brontosaurus one just haven't got around to it.
Murder by Death 12 months ago
I had a feeling quite few of the books would be ones you've already read (especially since you're how I found some of them, lol). Happily there is at least one there we might choose that you haven't read but are interested in - I know BT loves dinosaurs too, so it might be a contender. :)
Several of these are on my TBR -- as are several of those suggested by others ...
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Are they currently on your BL shelves? If so, I might stalk your shelves so I can come up with a list of commonalities to kick off the group with.
Stalk away ... and incidentally, I do have a "science" shelf, so a Boolean combination of "planning to read" -- or "wishlist" -- and "science" should give you a fairly good cross section of where my popular science / history of science reading is headed. Or should be headed, if I ever get around to even half of the books listed!
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Oh, good! That will makes things much easier. :)

Although I think amongst all our lists we already have a pretty massive start. I'll be collating for hours. :P
Murder by Death 11 months ago
Oh - scratch that - I just saw (but haven't read yet) a comment that you wrote on another post that indicates you've already done a bit of collating and list creating. Awesome! You are my favourite book reading German lawyer! :)
:D

On Goodreads, once upon a time, I used to be a Listopia-maniac ... so little wonder that I should have taken to this hereabouts as well. Perversely, I actually enjoyed it!
Kaethe 11 months ago
I enjoy reading science, but tend toward awful with planned reads, so I'll just stalk you boffins mostly. But yay! More suggestions of books to read. I highly recommend Roach for being informative and entertaining. Sacks has been variable for me.

And also, thanks for the Boolean hint. BookLikes just became more useful by a thousand per cent. If only I could export to a spreadsheet...
Roach is a good read. And sometimes hilarious. (I nearly died laughing while reading in Spook about a North Carolina court that took ghost testimony back in the 20s.)
Murder by Death 11 months ago
The Boolean functionality only works with the Read / Planning to Read / Currently Reading statuses, not with the custom exclusive shelves, alas. Still useful, but not as fantabulous as it could be (for me anyway).
Murder by Death 11 months ago
And if you see a book we're going to read and it strikes your sense of spontaneity, please feel free to pop in and join us for it! We're light on commitment in our group. ;)
Agreed on BookLikes's Boolean properties. It's nice being able to combine "simple" shelves with the three BookLikes-generated status shelves (and also the other BookLikes-generated shelves -- "Favorite," "Wishlist," etc.), but oh would I wish for the same option to exist for combining my own custom-generated exclusive shelves with simple shelves!
Libromancer's Apprentice 11 months ago