Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
LOVE this cover art
It's fabulous, isn't it? All of the British Library / Martin Edwards-edited / -authored books have such great covers, I want to own them all for that reason alone!
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
You know what's interesting about this cover art? Those are the same graphical elements that Collins Crime Club used in their Crime Club Newsletters that pissed off The Detection Club so badly and initiated one of the first authors vs. publisher actions (via an editorial in the newspaper). Martin covers it briefly in Part I and includes the cover of the first newsletter, a near duplicate of this one.
Really? Oh, wow. I'm going to be on the lookout for that now, of course ...
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Also, be on the lookout when you get to the chapter covering the Coles. I'm pretty sure Martin is rather snide about them and their beliefs (and really, I mean VERY snide), but I can't be sure b/c of the whole UK/US subtleties; I'm interested to know how it comes across to you.
I'm glad to see we both really *are* taking our time with this one -- I'm still stuck in chapter 1, too. I'm hoping to progress a little more rapidly after the bingo. I agree, though, this is a completely different animal than "The Story of Classic Crime" ...
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure it's possible to rush through this one anyway, even though it's good, and the chapters are short - so you *think* you're rushing through it, then notice you've only read 100 pages. :D

I haven't started Part II yet, and likely won't until this evening at the earliest, but I'm looking forward to diving back in.
"Only" 100 pages? If that is "only", I seriously need to readjust my definition of what constitutes having read "a lot" at any one time! :D
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
That wasn't all at once - it took me a week to get to 100 pages! That's what I mean. Definitely didn't do this all in one sitting; there's just too much to take in.
Tigus 2 weeks ago
this is his book for settling in to Read & Love. I became aware of its existence in 2016, when it was featured in an ad at the back of one of the British Library Crime Classics, and bought the day I saw that ad. I had read one Sayers biography--one written late enough that the biggest secret of her life, absent from earlier bios of Dorothy L., was discussed (no one really knew about it for years)--so the Sayers parts were the least fresh for me. though, her detailed participation in Detection club affairs was a new angle. anyway, The Golden Age of Murder read like a great History book, that actually covered several fascinating Biographies. and there's the Skull...
Which was the Sayers bio you read -- the one by Barbara Reynolds?
Tigus 2 weeks ago
yes. The Documents in the Case had made a huge impression, and I wanted to know more about the one who wrote it.
Well, if anybody could write about Sayers with a high degree of authority, it would have been Ms. Reynolds, who after all was a close confidante of hers. She also edited the multi-volume edition of Sayers's letters, of which I've read the first volume, which covers everything from her childhood to the end of her detective fiction writing, and which is truly illuminating.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Is she as much of a hard-ass as Edwards paints her to be? (I don't mean that in a bad way - it's just the best phrase I could come up with this early in the morning. Maybe 'bluntly pragmatic' is better?)
Both expressions fit perfectly, though she also had her contemplative phases and she definitely also had a sense of humor. (Well, you can tell *that* readily enough from the Wimsey novels, too.) Most of all, though, I got the sense of a tremendously sharp intelligence ... and she certainly didn't suffer fools gladly.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Ok then, not at all what I was expecting. I knew she was highly intelligent, but I think I let stereotypes get the better of me, and thought that someone who devoted her later years to religious studies the way she did was automatically going to be softer emotionally. I should know better of course.