Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Lovely idea. Very creative. :)
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Thanks - it was done out of a sense of desperation though; I had completely lost track of which tasks went with which squares, especially since we'd switched some around. :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
Too many rules! ;)
A surfeit of options, rather!
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Exactly - there are actually very few rules - and if you look at the rules to loopholes ratio, it's practically as liberal as the US tax code! ;-)
Elentarri's Book Blog 4 years ago
i.e. gibberish? ;)
Tannat 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure it's written in full sentences...
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Do you think the rules read like gibberish? Myself, I was referring to the number of options the game has that keeps people from being stuck with task/holidays they don't like. allowing everyone to always have a 'get out of this holiday free' card up their sleeves. But if you think it's gibberish, or there are parts of the rules you don't understand, please, I beg of you, let one or both of us know. We can't fix what we don't see as a problem. What is it that seems to be causing you confusion? Please allow us to try to clear up any we can. :)
Tannat 4 years ago
I think Elentarri was just being snarky and calling the US tax code gibberish.

The rules are long (which might merit a comparison to the tax code) but I personally only plan to start delving into the "extras" once I've completed a few squares and start looking for other possibilities.
@Tannat -- and that's pretty much exactly what we had in mind. Not necessarily for people to disregard the extras, obviously, but to be *aware* that they're extras and approach them accordingly.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Well, to be fair, the US Tax code *is* complete gibberish, lol. Elentarri is not wrong (and I bet the Aussie tax code, what little I've seen of it, could give the US a run for its money). :)
Obsession with words 4 years ago
I canĀ“t believe it is November already. I get younger this month.
Excellent! Never argue with anything that makes you younger! :D
Ani's Book Abyss 4 years ago
This is a nice idea. I'm a visual person, too. Though I've made my own visual setup to track my squares... it's more a spreadsheet, though, so I can ctrl+F any keywords I think might be part of some book theme or task and I can't recall which square it's for.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Oh, also an excellent strategy! I made these to print out for myself so I could have something quick and easy to refer to when I have the time to tackle a holiday, but I might do a spreadsheet (a simple one) that will allow me to do a Find when I"m at the computer. Thanks for the idea! :)
Obsession with words 4 years ago
I copied the post with the rules to a document minus the pictures for quick reference. I like to have something paper to write on.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Exactly - I'm the same way!
Tannat 4 years ago
Ani, sadly ctrl+f only works if you remember the right word. I had the devil of a time when I tried searching for country instead of rural for one square.
Ani's Book Abyss 4 years ago
@Tannat - True true. I haven't done that yet, because the only finds I've had to do were for the words 'snow' and 'red'. Although 'red' also gives you anything that ends in '-red'. I had debated whether one of the squares used winter or wintry, and fortunately chose the right one.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Your find function should have a sneaky option somewhere for 'whole word'. Or maybe if you use quotes around red?
BrokenTune 4 years ago
This is neat! I will totally have to think about how to tackle the tasks this year in a format that I can easily post and update. So, far all I'm coming up with involves printing and messing about with a spreadsheet...this goes a long way helping but I can't print this until I get back.

Btw, is there a Square # 5? It may be exhaustion speaking, but I can't see it.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
You had me scrambling there for a second, but yes, there is a square 5, Advent, on December 3rd. :)

Glad you like it - and hopefully you'll find it useful; I built it specifically so I could print it out and refer to it when I had time to fit a holiday task in and scribble down ideas. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
There's no Square #5 on your December calendar - that's what threw me! Advent makes perfect sense....
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I don't understand - I can see it on December 3rd? It's the one with the candles pic?
Murder by Death 4 years ago
OH! I SEE! I was looking at the graphics on the calendar - I just figured out you meant I left the tasks off! And you're right, I did. I'll fix that ASAP. :P

Thanks!
Fixed. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Also, yay, I just realised we're in much closer time zones now. :D
Murder by Death 4 years ago
YAY! to closer time zones! :D
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Hope your flights were as nice as they could be. And here's to hoping the jet lag doesn't make you want to weep. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I seriously wanted to weep when after 5 hours of flight all of my joints ached, my back was about to throw a tantrum, and the screen in front of me said there were still 7+ hours to go. :(
So, I got up stretched my legs and everything else, grabbed some juice and coffee, chatted with the flight attendants, and then felt a whole lot better.
Apart from the duration, it was a very pleasant flight. Didn't get any reading done, tho, because they dimmed the lights and the people next to me clearly wanted to sleep.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I have to turn off that flight screen - otherwise I'm afraid I'll try to hang myself by my socks when I see "10 hours flight time remaining". It's one of the biggest reasons we haven't been back to the states yet - gah, that flight...
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Yup. I can totally understand how that flight is a major consideration when planning to travel. This is not fun. At all.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I unabashedly rely on sleeping pills to knock me out on the plane so as to be as unaware as possible for the longest time I can get away with. I juts can't image there's anything in flight I want to be awake for.

But you're there now right? forget about it all for 2 whole weeks and live for the moment - and take pictures! :) Have a great time. :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
:D There will be adventure and pictures a-plenty, I'm sure. And now that I have slept, all is good.
Obsession with words 4 years ago
ugh and I thought flying from Alaska to Georgia was bad. With the layovers we were flying or in airports for a whole day. I totally understand the aching body too. I wanted to scream when I realized my relatives were going to a restaurant instead of right to a bed. It will be a really freakin long time before I go back.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Layovers suck, but, at least, with layovers you get to go off the plane and walk about. I totally hear you on the wanting to scream when people want to go out instead of just crashing, tho.
I was on a trip to New Orleans once when - after layovers in Amsterdam and Chicago, and being wedged in on a middle seat for the cross-Atlantic flight - I just wanted to curl up in my hotel room but my colleagues all wanted to go out for dinner. The follies of youth persuaded me to go with them. I nearly fell asleep at the table.
I sympathize -- this was pretty much exactly me, after my flight to Sydney, ages ago. And mind you, this wasn't a direct flight (or near-direct, with one or, God help me, "only" two layovers). This was back in the day when (near-) direct flights to Australia still cost a fortune, and I was on a student budget, so we're talking about three layovers on the way to Australia alone, PLUS the mandatory stop for immigration in Melbourne even if you were continuing to Sydney. All in all, 22 hours total on various planes, and something like 50 hours without having slept in a proper bed (and I have never been able to, and still cannot really sleep in a plane ... or train, or bus, or car, or any other vehicle). And when I got to Sydney, the someone I was visiting insisted on schlepping me all around Sydney Harbour -- all the way to the outer tip, mind you -- *and* then to friends of his for afternoon tea / coffee, all without me having had a proper meal in hours, too. The result was entirely predictable ... though I did wake up again eventually. Some 2 days later, lol.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Ouch. That sounds perfectly horrible.
Lol, it was certainly unforgettable (as you can tell). Though that whole trip to Australia was unforgettable, and mostly for the right reasons, thank God.

I hope once you're beginning to catch up with that jet lag thing and the aftereffects of travel, so will be Malaysia!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
It's great. I had a wander around earlier but then it started raining (hard) and it seemed like a good idea to head for a nap. :)
Murder by Death 4 years ago
Definitely NOT a contest, because I'd strangle someone if I had to go 50 hours without a proper bed, but if we can get flights that only take us 22 hours to get to FL from AU, it's a HUGE win. Normal door to door is more like 32 hours (it's ALWAYS LAX's fault).
I've only ever had to experience LAX as a departure or arrival airport, but I can well imagine that you don't ever want to have a layover there. (Nor O'Hare in Chicago -- which I *do* know as a layover airport and at some point just decided, "never again".)

And these days, I balk at anything that's more than a day's travel -- no matter whether by plane, train, or whatever, so either 32 or 22 hours would be a clear no-go. Well, short of family loyalties, I suppose ... :(
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I purely loathe LAX. Worst. airport. ever.