Obsidian Blue 5 months ago
1. Bondi Beach (IRE)
2. Wall Of Fire (IRE)
3. Max Dynamite (FR)

I just liked the names :-D
Murder by Death 5 months ago
That's how I pick them too. :)
Tigus 5 months ago
I like the scratched one, Who Shot The Barman! Just my luck, I woulda been there to bet on him.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
He's one of my favourites too - I usually plunk a couple of dollars on him whenever I see him running (and he's won a few times!), so yes, I was totally disappointed when I read of his last minute scratching. :(
1. Boom Time (thought I ought to pick an Aussie winner).
2. Hartnell (British horse, and also the name of a really annoying hockey player)
3. Red Cardinal (I'm a bird watcher, so this one jumped out at me)
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I'd have guessed Red Cardinal for you! :)
Sorry kids, no feet. 5 months ago
1.) Red Cardinal - IRE (It's National Love Your Red Hair Day and I'm a Redhead!)
2.) Libran - IRE (When I first read it, I thought it said Librarian.)
3.) US Army Ranger -IRE (My best friend serves in the US Army.)
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Red Cardinal is definitely an omen then. :)

(I misread Libran too - and if it had said 'Librarian' I'd be betting on that horse!)
Ani's Book Abyss 5 months ago
Ditto on Libran. I thought it said Librarian, too, and was all "Ooh, I'm going to pick this one!" Then realized it wasn't.
Portable Magic 5 months ago
Woohoo I love watching the horses run! But I'm terrible at betting because I pick horses for reasons that have nothing to do with their likelihood to win. I usually go for gray or unusually colored coats & markings, then by interesting/unusual name. Last, I'll pick based on the jockey's colors. So:
1) Single Gaze - because she's the only non-bay horse (chestnut) and the only one listed as a mare, and I like her pretty white blaze.
2) Humidor - because who names a horse after a cigar box?
3) Boom Time - because I can joke that my horses are Boom or Bust.

Seriously, though, my one hope at any horse race is that I'll find a horse named Dover, so I can pull a Liza Doolittle.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Lol... I usually go by names exclusively myself, although I'll restrain myself if the name that speaks to me has 100 to 1 odds. :P But I have to say, I've had a very respectable amount of luck with my "system". My last win was a race just last Sunday. My horse was named ... wait for it ... Sherlock Holmes! :D No WAY was I not betting on that horse! Came in first and won me a big 10 bucks! lol...

(Humidor and Boom Time are two of my favourites as well - strictly on names of course.)
Portable Magic 5 months ago
So far my favorite that I've bet on was Kiss My Lipstick, who lost of course.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
::snort:: I like that one a lot. Off the top of my head, past favourites have included: Mr. Sneaky, Hell or Highwater, and Snitty Kitty.
Portable Magic 5 months ago
Mr. Sneaky would be a good cat name.
Ani's Book Abyss 5 months ago
1) Wall of Fire -- this name just jumped out at me because, WALL OF FIRE!
2) Nakeeta -- I like this name. It sounds pretty. =D
3) Ventura Storm -- Totally "eenie-meenie-miney-moe" for this pick...
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I've totally used the super-scientific eenie-meeine method of horse betting! :D
Ani's Book Abyss 5 months ago
Proven to be at least 50% effective... on most days.
My Never Ending List 5 months ago
! - Nakeeta (18 - I liked the name)
2. Marmelo (5 - sounds like a candy bar I used to eat a lot of)
3. Amelie's Star (23 - wishing upon a star that this one will be a winner)
Murder by Death 5 months ago
My husband (who actually does silly things like consider the horse's stats) likes your choices! (That's not necessarily good news though, lol.) ;)
My Never Ending List 5 months ago
So he'll be cheering along with me- awesome!
Darth Pony 5 months ago
I hadn't planned on doing any of the tasks, but this one speaks to me.

1. Big Duke
2. Rekindling
3. Amelie's Star

Because those three names together sound like a bad romance novel title. XD
Murder by Death 5 months ago
ROFL... I *almost* didn't see that last bit and that would have been tragic, because you're right - it DOES sound like a romance novel title!
Ani's Book Abyss 5 months ago
This is awesome!
Sorry kids, no feet. 5 months ago
I just snorted tea up my nose. Worth it.
Portable Magic 5 months ago
I can't even express how much I love this.
Person Of Interest 5 months ago
1) Wall of Fire -- been there, done that
2) Marmelo -- roast that baby
3) Rekindling -- God I hope not

*** fire themes
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I feel like I should be appalled on your behalf about how well these tie together in that theme, considering your recent close brush, but really, I'm mostly impressed - you guys have all added an extra dimension to your picks that's given me a whole new way to look at the racing fields! :)
1. Marmelo (makes me think of marshmellows -- I want some chocolate now. Is it Advent yet?)
2. Almandin (gotta stick up for the home team!)
3. Johannes Vermeer (see no. 2 ... sorta. Well, neighbors -- and in the ESC we vote for them, too.)
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I totally had you pegged for Almandin; as you say, home team advantage. :D

I have to admit, I'm partial to Johannes Vermeer myself...
:D Well, I figured either you or me, but one of us at least! :)
BrokenTune 5 months ago
ESC voting logic. I love it!
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I've been enjoying everyone's picks so much I haven't even really looked at the field until now, but I want to post my picks before raceday, so:

1. Humidor (this name caught my eye in an earlier race; no luck then, but I still like the name!)
2. Boom Time - hard for me to pass up a horse with "boom" in its name.
3. I'm torn between Johannes Vermeer and Wall of Fire; how can you not love a horse named after Vermeer?? But Wall of Fire... SUCH a great name for a racehorse. And imagine the announcer's patter: "And here comes Wall of Fire around the bend..." I think I'm going to have to go with Wall of Fire in the end. :)
Lillelara 5 months ago
1) Humidor (I wonder how someone came up with the idea to give a horse the name of a cigar box)
2) Johannes Vermeer (because I have seen an original Vermeer at the National Gallery)
3) Max Dynamite (this name reminds me of an old sleazy German cartoon figure named Nick Knatterton).
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I thought the same whenI first saw Humidor... but it seems to fit if you think about the old clich├ęs about the British Aristocracy... grand estates, thoroughbred horses, cigars, whiskey... Or maybe his owner just thinks he smells like cigars when he sweats? ;-)
Peregrinations 5 months ago
I'm late to the party because we were at the National Gallery (in Wash, D.C.) seeing the Vermeer exhibit that is currently on display there and because of the coincidence, I would have chosen Johannes Vermeer as one of my choices. BTW, Dick Francis features Flemington Race Track and the Melbourne Cup in one of his novels --In The Frame, I think.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Aw man! I mean, National Gallery is a pretty compelling reason but Johannes Vermeer came in 2nd! :)

Sorry you missed it - but how was/is DC?
Peregrinations 5 months ago
LOL. I would have had a second place finisher. The exhibit was fabulous. https://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2017/vermeer-and-the-masters-of-genre-painting.html
BrokenTune 5 months ago
Alright,....

1. Tiberian (FR) - That name is just majestic. I love it.
2. Red Cardinal (IRE) - Maybe it's the Australian thing but the name flashed scenes of Thornbirds into my head. I know, it's not right but I can't help it.
3. Thomas Hobson (GB) - Of all the names, this seems the most simple - like an underdog amidst all the fancy names. Might be an omen.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Some names just jump out at you, don't they?

(BTW... speaking of names that speak to you... a horse named Sherlock Holmes is running in the 4th race today. ::huge grin:: )
Did you bet on him again?
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Yes I did! Him and "Plot Twist". SH placed second, and is apparently looking at actually running in the cup next year.

Plot twist was a let down, as too often is the case. ;)
Snort. ;)

I guess you've found next year's bet for the cup then, though ...
Murder by Death 5 months ago
Oh, definitely - if he makes it, I'm betting big! I might go all the way to $5!! Each way!
BrokenTune 5 months ago
SH v Plot Twist??? You could not make this up.
I know! I was giddy when I saw the line up. :D
Char's Horror Corner 5 months ago
The last horse that I bet on broke his leg during the race and was put down, right there on the track. I haven't been to a race again since. :(

But since this is virtual and for charity, I choose:

1. Max Dynamite
2. Boom Time
3. Red Cardinal
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I've only seen one race where the horse was injured and I was devastated. I didn't think I'd ever be able to enjoy another one. But in this one respect the press was brilliant at following up and was able to report that it was truly a tragic accident that unfortunately would have happened on or off the track (in our case it was a horse with a heart problem that had gone undetected).

I get the impression that Australia horse racing recognises how important it is to do the thing properly; it appears to be one of the strictest policed sports I've ever seen in terms of ethics and animal care, and the owners themselves (most of them) seem to put the welfare of the horse first. So I keep watching. Until I have reason to stop. :)
Tannat 5 months ago
1. Almandin - just caught my eye
2. Tiberian - sounds Roman
3. Nakeeta - sounds like parakeet (unusual vowel juxtaposition caught my eye)

I missed this yesterday so your reminder post is the only reason I saw it.
Murder by Death 5 months ago
I'm glad I did it then... I wondered why I hadn't seen any picks from you but then thought maybe you just weren't a fan of the racing. Glad you were able to get in on the fun. :)
Tannat 5 months ago
I'm not exactly a fan of racing, but I'm willing to pick three names rather randomly. :)