BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Why are you reading it? I mean, what's so unputdownable about it?
I've been wondering about the same thing ...
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
I've been completely sucked into the story; it's pretty good so far (I've finished Part I as of last night). Even though I desperately want to disinfect at least half the character list inside and out, I find I want to know what happens next.

But simultaneously I'm not at all enjoying the rawness of almost the entire cast. (see details in my comment below).
Tannat 2 weeks ago
I kinda liked it although I had criticisms but I wouldn't have categorized it as "unputdownable".
Carpe Librum 2 weeks ago
I loved this book the first time I read (listened to) it. For some reason, it was the second read when more of the vulgarity of it bothered me.
Portable Magic 2 weeks ago
Yeah, I need details. Vulgarity? skin crawling? compelling?
BURN IT. But give us the details first!
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
RE: raw and vulgar. The book is set during Richard the II's reign and about half the characters are prostitutes, and Holsinger writes them (I'm assuming) to be historically accurate without sugar-coating their dialog or vocabulary. Now, I don't generally have a problem with most vulgar language (although I do have the Yank's reaction to the 'c' word, which is used as part of a street name in the book), but the way it's used here is ugly; it's not meant to be provocative, or colourful, the way it's often used today. It's meant to be ugly and degrading and the context makes it extremely distasteful.
-----------VERY confronting example of graphicness below-------------------------

There's also a level of graphic violence I don't care for. A scene where one man threatens to rape another man's 10 year old daughter while making him watch, then allowing his garrison to do the same...again while making him watch - even if he has to cut off the mans eyelids to make him do it.

--------------------------------------------------------
That might be the way it really was in the late 1300's and some might really appreciate the verisimilitude, but I'm not one of them. I don't need to be convinced that the 14th century sucked - I believe it. I don't like seeing or reading about people being treated like insects.

At the same time, I SO want to know about the book of prophesies and whether the 13th prophesy will come to pass....

A DNF is still a possibility, but so far, I'm still reading... ::sigh::