BrokenTune 10 months ago
I love a good pie chart. :)

When the women writers challenge came around, I did almost exactly the same thing and figured out how my reading split between men and women. It came up with an almost even split, which I thought was rather marvellous.

Are you keeping track of the numbers throughout the year or do compile them at the end?
Murder by Death 10 months ago
This year I compiled them all in one afternoon with MT egging me on (not much going on that day, lol). I hate adding too many shelves (unless they're physical ones) but this year I might try to track it as I go. I'll create 2018, Male, and Female (and maybe team?...UGH!) shelves and hopefully remember to shelve my reads accordingly, as I go. It might all go pear-shaped by mid-Feb. but it not, it would make it easier at the end of the year. :P
BrokenTune 10 months ago
Good luck with the shelving. ;D

Does MT have any plans for BL in 2018?
Murder by Death 10 months ago
Remember to update his books from Planning to read, to Read? That's probably what he'd say if I asked him, but I see wheels turning more often now when I talk about what's going on in the BL world, so I suspect at some point he'll start showing up more often. A big part, too, is that we have to find more books for him to read that aren't so mainstream; he refuses to review books like Harry Bosch because they're already so popular and well-reviewed.
BrokenTune 10 months ago
I see. You're going to need a bigger library. ;)
Murder by Death 10 months ago
HA! MT just read that over my shoulder and shuddered... :D
BrokenTune 10 months ago
Mischief managed! ;)
Very cool stats -- both optically and substantively!

I'm pretty sure in 2017 my stats are heavily pro-women authors as well, but that's largely because I revisited almost all of Christie's and Sayers's catalogues and a fair share of those of the other Golden Age queens of crime. In 2018, I'm just going to use the Women Writers Bingo Card as a way of keeping track, I think -- with a list of books / authors read below.
Murder by Death 10 months ago
What surprised me the most was the relative equity of my non-fiction reads; I expected those numbers to be heavy on the male author side. Really the only categories men dominated for me the year (of the ones I counted) were audiobooks and anthologies. I was both surprised and pleased by the results, especially as I've never made an effort to consider gender. :)
Nonfiction is actually the area where I'm more likely to read women than men -- most of the historical biographies I've read in recent years were written by women (Ian Mortimer being a notable exception, gender-wise). And audio is where women come in for me in particular ... most of those above-mentioned revisits were in that medium. But yes, especially for not even trying to balance genders, yours is a great result!
Char's Horror Corner 10 months ago
You are astonishing! 273 books?
I love how you put all the charts and stats together.
charlton 10 months ago
273 books? Impressive!
Murder by Death 10 months ago
Thanks Char and charlton - I can't believe I read that many either. It's exponentially more than I've read in past years - even after taking into account the small, quick reads that would have inflated the numbers. The silver lining of being an introvert? ;)