BrokenTune 4 months ago
Oh, the bookshelf fairy. Have you heard any "glingalingalingaling" sounds when you typed this?
If not, I am concerned. Deeply so. For both the well-being of said fairy and your shelving issues.

The last part of your post very much reflects my own plans for 2018, except that I will keep my goal to 52 books because I really don't bother about the number.
As much fun as the games have been this year, I seem to have a compulsion to get stuck in fully, which then takes over some of that freedom to read.
I'm bringing back the Mt. TBR project in 2018, starting out at an impossible 74 books. I have more unread books but these 74 are the ones I don't have physical shelf space for.
And I will try to also curtail my book buying... "Try" being the operative word here.
So, in a way, we might be able to form a mini-support group. ;)
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Sadly, I heard no "glingalingalingaling"... but the air conditioning was on...?

I've never really seen the reading challenge as a challenge, but I do like watching the progress bar move, and MT mocks me if I make it too low. But I always choose a number I'm sure I won't stress about hitting; otherwise it's too much like reading assignments in school.
I have the exact same problem with the games - they're SO much fun, but then I get a wee bit obsessive about them.

Now I have the urge to say 'let's name our mini-support group!', lol.
BrokenTune 4 months ago
You're telling me MT hasn't made any suggestions for names, yet?
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I haven't told him about it yet. :D
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Aaannndd now he's seen it. And he's thinking...
Tannat 4 months ago
glingleglingleTHUD. Oops?
Noooooo .....!!!
Tannat 4 months ago
I think it was that TBR stack in the corner...
Just the stack, or the stack with the fairy buried below it??
Murder by Death 4 months ago
ROFLMAO... you guys are the best!
Happy New Year!

Any progress on the name for the TBR shelf support group?
Murder by Death 4 months ago
MT has come up with a few 'support group' names for our consideration:
The Erosion Project,
The BrokeBook Mountain Group
Worrying Heights

(I suggested The (Dis)Count of Monte Biblio, but I got the side-eye, which is why he's in charge of this stuff.)
BrokenTune 4 months ago
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!
Ooooh, I love them! ROTFLMAO with curlicues!

I think my favorite is "Worrying Heights." Even though it doesn't even include any allusion to books -- but then, what else could we possibly be referring to anyway, right?
BrokenTune 4 months ago
I don't even know if I have a favourite. And for the record, I also like The Discount of Monte Biblio. :D
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Awww... thank you BT!! (MT is in the background going "booo"... not at all competitive, that man, lol).
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I have to admit though, as much as I like them all, I'm partial to BrokeBook Mountain - that one made me laugh out loud hard. :D
Tannat 4 months ago
The fairy got buried by the collapsing attack, naturally.
OK, folks, bury the project -- how are we ever going to succeed without the shelf fairy to help us? (Anybody know how to resuscitate a book fairy? Any Discworld magicians around, by chance?)
meeplemaiden 4 months ago
Can I join your support group? I have bought a ridiculous amount of books (for me) in 2017, NONE of which I have read!!! At present these books are pretending to be a second bedside table with a newly acquired Dalek sitting on top threatening to 'exterminate' me if I buy anymore.
Tannat 4 months ago
Awww...
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Yes! All are welcome to join our support group! As long as no one expects us to make actual progress as curbing our book habits, lol! :D
I can see another Booklikes group in the making ... the physical MT TBR support group (or whatever decidedly more apt title MT is going to come up with). Count me in as well. And if anyone should see the book shelf fairy after all, could you maybe send her my way next?
Darth Pony 4 months ago
If you do see the bookshelf fairy, send her my way when you're done with her. I only read about 50-60 books a year, but I seem to acquire 80-90 in that same time, and that's been going on for at least two decades. Oh, and tell the bookshelf fairy to bring the house extension fairy. I'm sure they know each other. XD
meeplemaiden 4 months ago
Yeah, house extension fairy is desperately needed here, too. I couldn't squeeze another shelf in anywhere and, believe me, I have agonised over this problem!
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Oh DEFINITELY need the house extension fairy too...
Mary's Books 4 months ago
I would love to know how you created that wonderful pie chart. I would love to know my reading stats like that, so that I can change them a bit, instead of being in a rut.
Murder by Death 4 months ago
Thanks Mary - it was very easy (and I suck at spreadsheet stuff), BUT I use a Mac, so I'm not sure if Excel will do the same thing: I opened the Numbers.app (Apple's version of Excel) and it offered several templates for a new document. One of them was an "Intro to Charts" thing - I opened that and just changed the numbers and names in the table, which updated the sample pie chart - I took a screen shot, then re-did all the numbers for the next one, screenshot it, etc. The same document had the bar graph too, so I could just screenshot the one I wanted. :)
Mary's Books 4 months ago
Thank you. I will have to play around with the "sheets" on google chrome. I used to be able to do that in excel. I will also do this for the year 2018.
Char's Horror Corner 4 months ago
Admirable goals!
charlton 4 months ago
It's good to have goals! :)
Murder by Death 4 months ago
I totally forgot to include in my post, one of my other sneaky goals to chip away at my TBR piles: I'm going to look for the audio versions of the books I have in my TBR at my local library. If they have it, I'll check it out to listen to in the car. Once I'm finished, I can shelf the physical book and mark it 'read'.

(I've updated my post too, for posterity.)
charlton 4 months ago
I would join the support group if allowed,but I would also need to know how to access it.
I don't think there's a group page (yet, anyway) ... for the moment it looks like it's mostly going to happen in posts and Dashboard comments / discussion.
Tannat 4 months ago
And virtual hand-holding...

Book Collectors Anonymous...
Hah. "My name is Themis-Athena, and I started collecting books when I was -- oh wait, how old *was* I, actually?!"
Tannat 4 months ago