BrokenTune 9 months ago
This was not a riveting chapter once it got past the part about refraction.
Murder by Death 9 months ago
Nope - although her explanation about cell towers was the first one that really made total sense to me. Mostly though, I kept nodding off...
BrokenTune 9 months ago
Re the waves arriving at odd angles to the shoreline, could it have been caused by the seabed not evenly "submerging", i.e. being steeper in some places as it goes out towards the sea?
Murder by Death 9 months ago
Very likely - especially off the Gulf Coast, where the sea floor is made entirely of sand. Sand bars form and disappear frequently, so one day you can walk out hundreds of yards and only be up to your knees, and the next day you can walk out 10 feet and be up to your neck. And I know Florida isn't special - there'll be places all over the world where factors like these come into play, so her definitive statement that waves ALWAYS come in parallel to the shore line is misleading: they might start that way, but might end up coming to shore at angles. Given how great her writing is (even with the boring stuff), it bugs me that she wasn't clearer about waves.
BrokenTune 9 months ago
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I had a similar gripe about her writing about the message transmissions at the time when Titanic was sinking - not that there was a factual flaw in it, but the way it was presented was, I thought, a bit confusing. As if there was something missing in the narrative.
Murder by Death 9 months ago
She bounced around a lot when she was talking about the Titanic; I thought it was just me missing something (because I have a hard time with stuff I can't visualise). I feel better now knowing it wasn't - that the writing wasn't quite as clear as it could have been. :)