Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Very pretty. I had glossy starlings in the birdbath this morning.
They didn't want to stand still for photographs.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Oh wow - your birds are WAY prettier than my birds! :D Those are stunning!

(These guys are so ... dumb ... they just sit there; yesterday Carlito actually got is front paws up on the edge of the bath and the bird just sat there staring at him. He'd have been turtle-dove pate had we not saw 'lito and stopped him.)
Elentarri's Book Blog 6 months ago
Pigeons aren't the brightest feathered dinosaurs on the planet. The pigeons that potter on the road infront of my parents' house don't even get out the way when a car comes along. They site there a bit, think about it, then saunter off at the slowest pace possible or just walk under the car! The neighbourhood cats are too terrified of catching "stupid" genes they don't even bother with the birds. Cobalt likes chasing pigeons when they come in clumps - he got yelled at for catching one, so now he barks at them first to make them fly, then chases them. Maybe he thinks they are feathered balls with wings?

With pigeons' lack of nest building ability and lack of sense when it comes to objects that want to eat or squash them, I'm surprised they haven't managed to go extinct yet. They don't really breed any more prolifically than any other bird. They have however managed to be quite good at scavanging human food and living in human areas.
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Our pair generally do ok with nest building and by that I mean they at least *try* to make a nest; sometimes it comes out pretty solid, other times more a hand full of sticks in a vaguely circular pattern, and they build and abandon more than they use. These guys don't scavenge off of us at all, but they were living large off the chicken feed until I found a feeder that a) locked them out and b) the chickens could figure out how to open. Now they just putter around eating bugs and potato berries (they're mad for the potato berries!). And tease the cats (who are also allowed to chase, but not catch).
Oh, wow, this turtledove's color blends so well with the color of the bath it almost looks like a little statue added to the bath's rim for purposes of decoration! (The lettuce, on the other hand ... :) )
Murder by Death 6 months ago
I normally don't bother taking pics of the turtle doves as they aren't the most exciting, but this composition caught my eye and frankly, made me laugh. He/she was just sitting there in the middle of the bath with water almost covering him/her at one point. I thought "bubbles are the only thing that could make this perfect". lol
It's perfect either way! :)
Bark at the Ghouls 6 months ago
Such a beautiful shot!
Murder by Death 6 months ago
Thanks! :)
Person Of Interest 6 months ago
Fun photo. Thanks for sharing!