Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
You what, I was much less interested in the cake going stale / biscuits going soft thing than I was in the taxation issue and the reasoning behind it.

I love that the UK tax authorities consider cakes and biscuits a "necessity" rather than a "luxury" which is why the VAT applies to it. I also love that by the rule of exemption, chocolate cake or chocolate-covered cake is also a "necessity".

And then there is the gingerbread man issue:

"An equally eccentric VAT rule applies to gingerbread men. No VAT is charged if the figure has two chocolate spots for its eyes, but any chocolate-based additions, such as buttons or a belt, mean VAT is payable. So it’s cheaper to buy no-chocolate-frills gingerbread men."

(from http://www.mooreandsmalley.co.uk/latest-blogs/why-is-vat-payable-on-chocolate-covered-biscuits-but-not-on-chocolate-covered-cake/ )

Buttons clearly are a luxury on baked goods, whereas a little bit of choclote is a necessity.

:D

I like the book, but not as much as Czerski's. I'm missing some of the complex science. Not that I necessarily understand or remember all of it, but I miss thinking about details that Czerski provided but that seem to be less frequent in this book.

I did like the section on eggs, tho.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Ok, that gingerbread man issue is both insane and hilarious! How much time did they spend debating those details, do you think? :)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
I think the author has a TV show or something (think it is mentioned in the book?), so this is definately an introductory text that is supposed to link to that?
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I don't know, but I am sure that however much time this has been debated, it was a waste of tax payers' money.

Btw, I'm also reminded of the uproar a few years ago when the hot takeaway food tax ("pasty tax") came into being...

And of course, I have to admit I have spent far too much time already reading the official government guidance on VAT.

The Pasty Tax one is:

Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Taxes of any kind suck, but the ones on food are ridiculous.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Btw, "Prawn crackers made from tapioca" are tax exempt. This is probably right ... as they aren't food...really.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Well, it's definitely all ridiculous (and taxes of any kind DO suck), but I prefer the food tax controversies any day over the one everyone's been railing against here, which my parochial upbringing cringes at and blushes over every time it comes up.

(http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34013354)

Bring on the pasty controversy!! :D
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Oh, and also, I have news on the onion issue. I will post tonight.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Oh! Looking forward to it! (I was going to tell you: I cut a red onion tonight and it didn't make my eyes water, but it burned my nose a bit - almost like horseradish. ??)