BrokenTune 2 months ago
This sounds wacky fun a la Thursday. And Frank Underwood? As in the US version of House of Cards??
Murder by Death 2 months ago
Jeez - did not make that connection *at all* (although i've never watched House of Cards). This Frank predates HoC Frank, and he's way more flagrantly psychopathic - he has zero self-awareness.

The footnotes gave me a strong Thursday vibe, as did the last chapter, but ultimately, not directly comparable. Thursday is pure fantastical wacky fun, but Book is at best a tiny bit Magical Realism wacky fun. Mostly it's just wacky satire of academia.
BrokenTune 2 months ago
It still sounds great! :D

Re HoC - I can't stand the US version. But then I am a huge fan of the UK version - books and tv series.
Murder by Death 2 months ago
There's a book series?!
BrokenTune 2 months ago
Yes. It's based on the books by Michael Dobbs.

But if you can find the UK series, give it a shot. Ian Richardson is fabulous in it. Really creepy, but in an excellent way. There is an (intentional) ick factor to the series but it is a very memorable story and Urquhart (the original "Underwood") is a very memorable character.
"So it goes." 2 months ago
I want to read this.And I will second the TV series for HOC UK. I think I watched it years ago on netflix. Maybe they still have it?
Murder by Death 2 months ago
Possibly, but I don't have Netflix. :) (I'm aiming for full Luddite status by the time I retire.)
Except for the fact that this one is not a round robin, it sounds vaguely reminiscent of "Yeats Is Dead!" ...
(http://booklikes.com/yeats-is-dead-a-mystery-by-15-irish-writers-roddy-doyle-joseph-o-connor-fra/book,275996)
Murder by Death 2 months ago
Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to hunt that one down and read it. I love that all fifteen writers are writing "well below their peak". :D
Roddy Doyle isn't, actually. His opening chapter is a damned clever piece of writing that none of the others comes close to ... which isn't to say that there isn't some darned funny stuff in their contributions, too. But Doyle pretty much singlehandedly sets up the whole basic scheme. And do yourself a favor and don't expect too much coherence -- this not being a linear novel is deliberately part and parcel of the whole thing ...
And I suppose I'm going to have to get my hands on "Novel" in turn ...
Murder by Death 2 months ago
We've cancelled each other out? :D