Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Nice cover though. Maybe rip the pages out and put something better inside? ;)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
::gasp:: even to bad books, I can't rip pages out... I feel faint...

;-)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
Trust me - there are some books that work only as emergency toilet paper because leaves just don't cut it.

Though, apparently shiny/gloss pages don't really work well either.

Don't ask. This is the type of stuff that comes up when the inlaws have family functions. I've heard several of them refer to my library as the emergency loo paper stash.
There is a reason I go socialise with the dogs. Or turn into an uncivilized barbarian and go read in the corner.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Eep.
Someone recently suggested I might store some of my books in the basement -- or at an offsite storage facility. I told him he'd misunderstood the basic organizational principle of my home.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Hahaha. I might be putting most of my books in the basement at my new place, but really it's more of a lower floor than a basement.
If I had a "habitable" basement I just might consider that as well. Mine isn't, though. (Besides, it's already crammed to the hilt with other stuff anyway.)
Elentarri's Book Blog 2 weeks ago
No one here is going to fault you if you turn the bassement into a library. So long as it's dry and the books are comfortable. ;)
That's the point -- in mine, they wouldn't be. It's a single unheated cellar room / shack (in the midst of a bunch of identical shacks belonging to other people), not directly connected with my apartment. My poor books would feel totally like they're in exile there. More importantly, I want my books close and all around me and easily reachable, though. So unless I had a basement with rooms (plural) that I could turn into a bona fide extension of my living quarters, I'd never store my books anywhere other than right inside my home.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
I've had a couple of people suggest my attic, which we had sealed up a couple of years ago, but it's NOT climate controlled. I try not to snarl at these people because it does look like it would be safe when they see it - but they never see it on the days when it's 60+ degrees (C) up there. Puts a more literal spin on "cook the books". Plus, the walls are too short. ;)

If we didn't have our feathered friends in the back, I'd probably put a tiny house/shed where the henhouse is and make that (an extension of) my library.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
Yeah, you definitely can't store them in a shack not connected to your apartment. That's just not happening. Same with MbD's attic, although it is unfortunate that it's not climate controlled.