BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Who Shot Thebarman
Runaway
The Magic Circle

:D
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Who Shot Thebarman is too funny, isn't it? The Magic Circle out of Ireland caught my interest too.The combo makes me think of Celtic mythology which has to be a winner! :)
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
And, I mean, Runaway is also just a great name for a race horse! :D
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
Indeed!
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
ROFL... MT just informed me that the owner of The Magic Circle has repeatedly stated that if his horse winds the Melbourne Cup, he will appear to accept the trophy in a g-string.

(https://www.theage.com.au/sport/racing/cover-your-eyes-if-magic-circle-wins-the-melbourne-cup-20181104-p50dwm.html)
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure whether I want The Magic Circle to win now...
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Neither is anyone else, lol.
Darth Pony 2 weeks ago
Vengeur Masque
Who Shot the Barman
Marmelo

Alternate: The Magic Circle (because g-strings OMGLOL)

Last year I picked horses whose names combined into a possible romance novel title. This year's pickings aren't nearly so conducive to that, so I'm picking horses whose names tell a story when strung together. In this particular tale of woe, a masked avenger shot a barman named Marmelo. Poor Marmelo! I wonder what he did to incur the wrath of Vengeur Masque! XD
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
lol... now I want to know too! I'm tempted to post the next race's horses so you can piece together the reveal! :D
Darth Pony 2 weeks ago
Haha, I'm game! I'm always up for more unofficial bonus points. ;)
Portable Mistletoe 2 weeks ago
Sound Check
Who Shot Thebarman
A Prince of Arran
(alternate) Ventura Storm

I usually pick the horses who have something other than the usual dark brown coat, but since I can't actually look at them, I went with the names that just tickled my imagination. And the description on Sound Check - who wouldn't want to bet on a horse that runs like he's drunk?
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
MT and I found that hilarious too - Sound Check and Who Shot TheBarman make a good pair when looked at that way. :D

(I'd have put horse colors, but they don't publish that. Unfortunately - I usually put a dollar on the greys myself, just because they stand out.)
Person Of Interest 2 weeks ago
The Magic Circle
Marmelo
A Prince of Arran

Just like the names!
Emerjas 2 weeks ago
Ace High
Yucatan
Rostropovich

I just picked random names I liked.
Jennifer's Books 2 weeks ago
The Magic Circle
Sound Check
Ace High

(alternate) Ventura Storm

I picked the names I liked best, lol.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
I pick the names that sound the funkiest myself. :)
SirSurly's Books 2 weeks ago
23 - Cross Counter
11 - Yucatan
2 - Marmelo
Lillelara 2 weeks ago
Sound Check - Supporting the German horse
Who Shot Thebarman - love the name
Venguer Masque - based on the commentary, this horse seems to be a complete dud. The name and the shirt the jockey is wearing has done it for me, though.
leöni 2 weeks ago
The Cliffs of Moher (The Cliffs of Mother and I was like... What!? XD)
Marmelo (That name and polkadots!)
Red Cardinal (Mr Vertigo back in town)
Ani's Book Abyss 2 weeks ago
Sound Check
Zacada
Rostropovich

Based solely on a very scientific strategy of: "I liked the sound of that name" and "Eenie meenie miney moe."
The Cliffsofmoher
A Prince Of Arran
Sound Check

... and if there were a horse named "Whisk(e)y" in the race, I'd pick that one as my alternate. Let the party begin!

As it is, Who Shot Thebarman just has to be my alternate, of course.
Chris' Fish Place 2 weeks ago
Well considering I can't do it my normal well thought out way of -oh he's pretty. A

1. Nakeeta (she needs the love)
2. Who Shot TheBarMAn
3. Veneger Masque
XOX 2 weeks ago
1 The Magic Circle (3) (Ireland)
2 Best Solution (1) (Ireland)
3 Cross Counter (23) (Great Britain)

I like their names. Sound like YA book titles.
Sound Check (because of the purple)
The Magic Circle (anyone/thing that can turn a good slashing turn of foot is a winner in my book)
Chestnut Coat (I'm not a fan of the rain either)
Alternative: Who Shot Thebarman ("grand old campaigner" "make his own luck." I think I need this horse in my life)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
The owner of Magic Circle says if his horse wins, he'll rock up to the podium in a g-strong.
This seems like a Jurassic Park moment, so wrapped up in if they could, didn't stop to think if they should.
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
He's already modelled the little number he has planned to wear on the day (over his clothes, so as not to spoil the surprise). Ugh.
Tannat 2 weeks ago
The Magic Circle (3) (Ireland)
Sound Check (6) (Germany)
Who Shot Thebarman (7) (New Zealand)
Alternate: Runaway (21) (Australian)
Chosen purely on the basis of names.
Peregrinations 2 weeks ago
My first thought was to choose by the length of the name-- the longer the better--just because i thought about how much fun it would be to hear the race announcer stumbling over "the cliffsofmoher" and "who shot thebarman." The I thought I would choose based on the racing colors. In the end, I decided to trust the bookies: Yucatan, Magic Circle and Cross Check.
Peregrinations 2 weeks ago
And if I win, please donate my prize to an organization that works to put books in the hands of children.
Kitty Horror 2 weeks ago
The Magic Circle
Muntahaa
Cross Counter
Alt: Marmelo

Going off the bookies comments.
Peregrinations 2 weeks ago
Speaking of the Melbourne Cup and since we are a Book Group, one of Dick Francis's mystery novels features the Melbourne Cup. "In the Frame" So I guess I will have to jump ahead in re-read cue and read it for Cup Day!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Oh, good to know! Thanks for that.
Moonlight Snow 2 weeks ago
I'm going for the answer to a game of CLUE

The Prince of Arran smothered the victim with a Chestnut Coat on the Cliffs of Moher

Now, I'm ready to win.
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
Hahahaha!
Brilliant, lol...
Obsidian Blue 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the reminder!

I am going with The Magic Circle (cause magic is cool)
Red Cardinal (in deference to my adopted home state Virginia)
Runaway (cause sometimes that is what I want to do in order to read more books!)
Youngstar (domestic so home turf advantage)
The Magic Circle (go Ireland! plus a cool name)
Ventura Storm (same as the first)
Cross Counter (alternative)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
Well, it's been absolutely bucketing down rain here all morning and shows no signs of stopping; we just watched the first race and honestly, you could barely see the horses. So all those horses that 'like the wet' should be in heaven today.

Saying that, with little rhyme or reason, since none of the names in this year's race jumped out at me, I'm going with:

The Magic Circle (conflicted though I am about this one winning)
Avilius
Finche (This one mostly because MT mocked its colors mercilessly, so now I feel like it's an underdog)
Darth Pony 2 weeks ago
I happen to like that color combo. Go, Finche!
BrokenTune 2 weeks ago
MT mocked Finche? How so? Surely, it isn't the horse's fault that the jockey's dress looks like a Gaviscon sachet..
You could almost have gone for a Donna Andrews style lineup ... Finche, Red Cardinal, and, well, Avilius ("avis" is Latin for bird; "-ilius" is an ending of endearing minimization ... so the translation would be "little birdie", or some such). // smartass voice off. :D
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
@Darth Pony and BT: I'm not thrilled about the colors either, but as BT says, it's not the horse's fault. :)

@TA: Well damn... I hadn't even thought of that!
Darth Pony 2 weeks ago
NUH-UH THEY'RE GREAT COLORS. (Shhh! Though I still have psychological scars from the bridesmaid dress I had to wear in those colors when my sister got married, I don't want the poor horse to feel silly and have a bad run.)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
ROFL... that's some sisterly love right there! But that's precisely why I want the horse to win - it's all about the dignity - and 7 million buys a fair amount of dignity. :D
Squaking in time wise, because I just grabbed my pc :D
I'll go with:

Who shot Thebarman
Avilius
Muntahaa

Alt: Yucatan

Because those names! (I know practically nothing about race horses)
Murder by Death 2 weeks ago
The results are in! The winner of the Melbourne Cup was Cross Counter.
2nd: Marmelo
3rd: A Prince of Arrran
Last over the line: Red Cardinal

Nobody got all three winners; I'll do a seperate post with the results of points per player.