Oh, this sounds / looks extremely useful!
BrokenTune 1 week ago
This really does sound good.
Platypodes?
Murder by Death 1 week ago
Yes Platypodes, just like octopodes. I think it works, don't you? So much more logical and nicer sounding than s platypusses/ XD
Murder by Death 1 week ago
It really is both of those things. Best possible world scenario is you buy a great copy used, because it's worth having in your reference sections at home (Not sure about you, BT, but my money is on TA having in impressive reference section somewhere on her shelves. ;-)

Most of them I was pretty clear on, but they snuck in a few that not only surprised me, but had me thinking "oh crap, I bet I've done that at least a few times."... o_O Luckily, the writing doesn't take itself too seriously, so it's a lot of fun to read as well as being useful.
I do have a reference section -- bare bones (though, thank you for your unwarranted confidence in it being considerably grander :) ), but this is just the sort of book that's still missing from it!
Murder by Death 1 week ago
I bet my reference section would be a tiny bit jealous of your reference section. ;-)
BrokenTune 1 week ago
LoL. Does this call for a round of reference section shelfies? I think it does...
Murder by Death 1 week ago
OOhhh... TA? I will if you will. ::grin::
Looks like I'm ahead of you on this one: http://themisathena.booklikes.com/shelf/111310/reference?by=date&order=desc

I created this when my "nonfiction" shelf was starting to burst at the seams and, as a result, every book shelved there was threatening to vanish straigiht down the rabbit hole.

BUT my definition of "reference", for purposes of this shelf, is still a very broad one -- it contains everything from my law books to dictionaries / encyclopedias to travel guides to creative writing and grammar books to background material on assorted topics. I also have topical shelves for (say) "law" and "travel", and one of these days when I finally have the leisure to do this, I'm also going to create a "books on books and writing" (or similarly-named) shelf.
Murder by Death 6 days ago
HA! I have one of those too:

IF this were a contest (which it would be only in the best-humoured way) ... YOU WIN! XD ;-)
"Oh, look -- shiny!"

(You knew what you were doing to my TBR there, didn't you?)
Murder by Death 6 days ago
Uh huh. #unrepentant ;-)
Murder by Death 6 days ago
Speaking of #unrepentant ... is the Discworld Atlas complementary to the Ankh-Morpork Directory, or is it one of those if-you-have-one?
Murder by Death 6 days ago
DO YOU HAVE FORSYTH'S TERNION SET?!?
Those are both TBR (another reason why my "Reference" shelf is so big ... it's both "actually own" and "oh look -- shiny!"). But, yes on the Discworld Atlas / Ankh-Morpork Directory, for all I know.
Peregrinations 1 week ago
Thank you, I just ordered it on Amazon. I don't know where I am going to put it but I ordered it. I also ordered an audiobook that was discussed on Lexicon Valley (a podcast about language) called *Talk on the Wild Side* by Lane Green, which includes a story on the etymology of the word "buxom" whose original meaning had nothing to do with a woman's endowments of a certain nature and also shares a story about big grammatical blooper in an episode in the Cumberbatch Holmes series, where in one scene Holmes is correcting every grammatical usage of the person he is interviewing and then in the next himself fails to properly use who/whom (can you say continuity error?). Anyhow, looking forward to both of them.
Murder by Death 1 week ago
Oh, that audio sound great! I hope you'll tell us what you think of it when you get to listening to it. :)