Tannat 1 month ago
But...how can you conflate electrons with neutrons?? o.O

I think you may be more the target audience of this book than me, regardless.
Murder by Death 1 month ago
Because I'm me? I don't really, anymore. Storm in a Teacup helped a lot with that, since all she talked about was electrons. allowing me to really get their function straight, and in turn, sort out the others. But when I was younger and just learning about atoms, all the 'bits' tended to get confused in my head.
Tannat 1 month ago
Ah, I can understand getting them mixed up more when you were younger. Keep in mind that I took electrical engineering at school, so it's really hard for me to visualize mixing them up ;)
Murder by Death 1 month ago
Half my family are electrical engineers, so I get it. That half just went on as if I knew what they were talking about, and I nodded a lot. Even after I got 'caught up' on the basics, they just upped the ante and starting flinging around amps/ohms/volts until my eyes glazed over.

On the flip side, my dad, the master electrical engineer, never could figure out how to operate his VCR - he'd just hand me the tape and say 'make this play'. XD
Tannat 1 month ago
Haha.
I grew up with the orbital planet model, too, and I've decided I'm too old to mentally ditch it if / to the extent that trying to digest a new approach to something I've so far at least had a working grip of (thank you very much) ON TOP OF digesting to the *actual* subject matter being talked about only makes the *whole* text more of a strain to follow.
Murder by Death 1 month ago
I try because it's the hip new thing and all (ha) but I end up with some sort of modified, free wheeling version of the orbital model in my head anyway. And I'm ok with that. Waves are a bridge too far, and will remain thus for the foreseeable future.
Tannat 1 month ago
For basic chemistry, I think you can get by quite well with the orbital model. It's only when you start discussing quantum effects and some of the niggly details that you run into trouble there, which is fine so long as you're aware of it.
TeaStitchRead 1 month ago
I could've done without the sexual inneudos regarding electrons and bonding.
Yeah -- not even the wise-ass reference to Plato's "Symposion" was able to rescue that one.
Murder by Death 1 month ago
I didn't really see it as innuendo, but then again, I was tired when I read it, so I guess it could have just sailed past un-noticed.
Ani's Book Abyss 1 month ago
Oh yes. The sexual innuendos. That was something that didn't work for me either. O.o
Tannat 1 month ago
That was just weird, although I admit I was skimming by that point.