Darth Pony 3 weeks ago
I am (unfortunately) intimately familiar with the type of reader existential crisis you describe. Been there. Done that. Didn't even get a lousy T-shirt. Heh. It insidiously adds extra stress on top of the pile, and being self-aware about what it is and why it's happening and knowing you couldn't prevent the circumstances that created it doesn't help at all because that's not how human brains work, apparently. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

TL;DR, You have my sympathy. Virtual (((hugs))) if you want them.

Also, my sympathies to MT as well. I tried going gluten free for my fibro. I actually got worse and had to quit, but those were the blandest months of my food life in living memory. (Edit: I meant to put this bit under your Whiskey in a Tea Cup review. Oh well. Chili-cornbread pie is AMAZING.)
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
Lol... what does it say that I didn't even pick up on the MT-comment-on-the-wrong-post... I was just going right along with it until I saw your Edit. XD

Yeah, MT was not thrilled. He took it all right at first, when the acupuncturist put him on it. Then he got home and told me, with a bit of a smirk, because he knows gluten is my first love. Then I pointed out his biggest source of gluten - beer - and the smirk melted right off into complete panic.

Luckily, he found a gluten free beer he can live with; I suspect after that everything is a tiny bit not-so-bad, but he's definitely not loving the lack of choices. We're currently struggling to find a chocolate bar that's gluten free that doesn't cost $10 an ounce (just a tiny exaggeration - $18 bucks for two small bars he found at the market today).

I need chilli cornbread pie in my life so badly... badly enough that I might have to experiment with gluten free flour. Kill me now.
Darth Pony 3 weeks ago
What does it say that you didn't pick up on the errant MT comment? If I had to guess, I'd say it's a good indication that narcolepsy fries the brain as efficiently as fibro does. *sad fist-bump*

Good luck with the gluten free flour experiments. I mean that sincerely. I can't have chili anymore without really uncomfortable consequences. Tomatoes and other nightshades are known triggers for fibro flare-ups, and I'm also mildly allergic to them. Until I can find tomato-free chili that still tastes like chili, I need to know other people in the world are still enjoying chili pie with cornbread.
Person Of Interest 3 weeks ago
@Darth Pony: I also have fibro and didn't feel better restricting gluten and reducing grain based carbs in general; my fasting blood glucose and A1C had also crept up to the low end for pre-diabetes. At the same time I began a gentle daily walking routine that I slowly increased over time and stuck with for a year. It didn't improve my pain either. I did lose a little weight but felt starved all the time, and my blood glucose and A1C actually increased. I did sleep a little better because I was even more fatigued than I'd been before. No improvements in depression and anxiety, either. I also developed a calcium-oxalate kidney stone from incorporating all those healthy (high oxalate) greens and nuts (especially almonds) in my diet. Everyone is different, and unfortunately for some of us these life style and dietary changes don't work.

@MbD: Good to hear MT's condition *is* improving with the gluten free diet. And kudos for making headway on your TBR goals despite your crazy busy work schedule.
Darth Pony 3 weeks ago
@Person of Interest: I am so sorry you went through that too. At least we can say we tried the whole manage-your-pain-through-diet thing now, right? My nutritionist felt really terrible about the whole thing. She was so sure it would help me that she pushed me to keep going longer than I should have. I think I may have actually done something permanent to my metabolism. Ever since that gluten-free fiasco, my body doesn't seem to know what to do with red meat anymore.

Now when people mention diet cures, I get almost as snippy as I do when they tell me I should do yoga.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I honestly didn't think it would work; I'm both happy it seems to be having so dramatic an effect (it's early days yet though so it might be something unrelated), and a little bummed. For him mostly, because I can still eat wheat, but it does make everything a bit more challenging and he's not a fan of being the challenging one, if you know what I mean.
Person Of Interest 3 weeks ago
@Darth Pony: Thank you. It's always nice to hear other folks can relate. :) And, yup, we gave it our best shot and know we're doing all we can to feel better. I totally get the yoga is the magic bullet irritation too. Nope.

There are so many conditions that can lead to fibro, and I'm pretty sure mine isn't auto-immune related. I suspect it's due to benign hypermobility which, as you may know, is on the continuum for the inherited connective tissue disorder Ehlers Danlos. I'm sure there are other factors at play for me too, but none of them can really be pointed to as the cause, at least individually. I think collectively they do explain my fibro and why it doesn't improve with the few treatment options available, though.
Person Of Interest 3 weeks ago
@MbD: I'm puzzled you're struggling to find a gluten free chocolate bar. Soy lecithin can have gluten additives, but I don't think gluten free chocolate is that unusual.
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
I think part of the problem is that labelling laws here are fussy so a lot of companies simply won't say if they're gluten free if they think there's a chance of cross-contamination due to shared equipment. So, Cadbury's being the most popular chocolate bar, and of course MT's fav, is off the table for at least the span of this experiment (6 weeks), because they won't officially say whether they're gluten free or not.

I have found some of our local chocolatiers are gluten free (I was googling it just now) - less flavour options, but probably tastier. :)
Person Of Interest 3 weeks ago
Hershey's says it's gluten free. We currently eat a brand called Endangered Species that is certified gluten free, too. It's make in the US, though, so probably isn't available down under. Looks like Lindt is gluten free, as well. You can't go wrong with Lindt, IMHO. :D
Life happens. I know everybody deeply appreciates all you do around here :) As long as you always come back! Feel better and maybe sneak in a gluten cupcake or donut, I promise not to tell ;)
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
^^^ What Whiskey said. And you know that we're here at whatever time you manage to sneak in while that project from hell is playing havoc with your life.
Is there an end date to the crazy work schedule in sight?
Murder by Death 3 weeks ago
< - - wiping blueberry scone crumbs from her face... Thanks Whiskey! :D

Update: AND BrokenTune! The projects will all wind up at different times - one of them is just about done today, thank goodness - although in the process we've found a new issue which promises to be a pain in my backside. ::eye roll:: Hopefully in about 3-4 weeks things will slow down a bit.
BrokenTune 3 weeks ago
Yum, ... Blueberry scones.