bookaneer 9 years ago
Nice review! Wow, how bad is it in Key West if it's that dangerous for a 15-year-old to go out at night?!?
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I'm not sure that it is that dangerous - but it *is* pretty wild (or was) during Spring Break. Or maybe I'd just be one of those mothers that are overly strict. I just can't imagine being comfortable with my 15 year old being in the midst of all that drunken debauchery, although I *can* imagine being a 15 year old and wanting to be in the midst of it. :D
bookaneer 9 years ago
Hah! I forget it's a place where the college kids go off to party--I see your point!
The Butler Did It 9 years ago
Definitely wouldn't let a 15 year old out alone during spring break! My kids are 18, 18 and 22 and I'd probably still worry about them!

It's amazing how much the quality varies within the cozy genre. It's so popular now that sometimes authors don't seem to feel the need to put out quality writing. Readers are snapping them up whether the writing has merit or not. Ultimately, not good for what is one of my favorite genres.
Lyssa's novel ideas 9 years ago
This is too bad. I read the first one and though it was okay, mostly I did enjoy the setting. I'm going to Key West next month so I've already bought all four of them. Hopefully I'll enjoy them a little bit more. :)

I agree though about the setup, my mom was very strict with me growing up and my daughter is only 20 months, but I can imagine I'll be pretty protective when she's a teen. Not that the teen years are something I really want to think about right now!
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I've seen quite a few comments in our cozy mystery group from people who have really liked them, so it might just be a "it's not the book, it's me" thing; although I have seen quite a few who gave up on it earlier than I did. I'll be interested to see what you think. Most of all, have a great time in Key West - I'm so jealous! :)
Rane Aria 9 years ago
Yeah, a 15 year old out late at night on spring break. That only happen if the parent didn't care for their kid or the kid did a ninja and sneaked out.
As for the series, I didn't really click with Haley either. The first book just was just plain annoying and I've since avoided the series
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I have a couple of series I really like where the first book didn't do it for me, so if I see possibilities, I'll usually give it 3 books. The third book ended really strong, which is how I ended up with this fourth. Sneaky author... ;)
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Yeah, not for me. I can hear myself yelling at the book already. Thanks for the heads up!