Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Oh please don't tell me this! I've been drooling over this lovely premise and the thought that it might not be perfect is killing me. I could cry. I'll probably give it a try anyway but not till I get over this. I think I'm going to curl up with my next book and hope it lifts my spirits...and since it's titled The Mysterious Death of Mr. Darcy...I don't have high hopes. :(
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I'm sorry. But you might like it sooo much better than I did! It might not hit you the same way it hit me. But I really do love the premise, and the behind-the-scenes stuff. I can't honestly say whether or not I'll buy the next one.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
I'll probably give it a chance but it seems dialogue is not her forte and I'm a bit picky about that aspect of books. Oh well. Thanks for a great review, though.
The Butler Did It 9 years ago
Dialogue must be the most difficult thing for writers to write. It's quite often the weakest part of an otherwise decent book.
Lyssa's novel ideas 9 years ago
I think this is just a Shelia Connolly thing. I'm currently reading Scandal in Skibbereen and I'm on the fence about that series. The conversations between the women are tedious. Also, I find that her books tend to be rather light on the mystery aspect. I know the author is into genealogy/history/research and those details are interesting, but sometimes I feel that is the main aspect of her books and the mystery is just a sub-plot. That was definitely the case with Buried in a Bog. That book had almost no mystery, no sleuthing, etc.
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I agree. I haven't read her Irish Series, but the Orchard series suffers the same - I was never sure whether I was meant to like Bree or dislike her; she'd be laughing and snapping at the MC in almost the same sentence.