I'm having the same issues with Ken Follett's "Jackdaws"... Surreal. If ever an original word dropped from the pen of Ken Follett, it sure as heck didn't fall into this book (very short review to follow).
Murder by Death 9 years ago
Looking forward to reading it! :)
That writing ... I think I shall pass.

Chocolate night-crawler fudge! I am laughing so hard.
Sandi 9 years ago
Oh. My. God. That first sentence! I admire your fortitude, I wouldn't have gotten past that. Love fudge, anywhere.
Lyssa's novel ideas 9 years ago
Yikes. I already bought this one but haven't tried to read it yet. I read All Fudged Up and while it wasn't perfect I did enjoy it and love the Mackinac Island setting.
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I have All Fudged Up in the pile and I've seen it's received better reviews. I can't say that this book doesn't get better, but the further I got in the first chapter the more I just kept thinking "I don't want to read this." Once I started tripping over the writing, I was going to nit-pick through the rest of the book. It was just better to quit while I was ahead.
That just sounds awful. Does the author think she gets bonus points for alliteration? (If this comment comes up twice, it's because Booklikes is eating my comments again.)
Murder by Death 9 years ago
Apparently the character who spoke that sentence (a kindergarten teacher) tends to speak in alliteration as an occupational hazard. I didn't stick around long enough for her character to make another appearance, so I can't say she keeps speaking like that. But once was enough for me.
#1 brought tears to my eyes... so much laughter. I think "Oh my gosh golly giddy-ups" will be my phrase of the day. ;D
The Butler Did It 9 years ago
Did you read this stuff out loud to the others in your home? I love reading really bad writing ou loud to my husband and kids. We all get to have a good laugh out of it.
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I did - or, I tried to. DH lasted for about the second or third quote and then pleaded for mercy...something about not having to suffer any more...
bookaneer 9 years ago
Oh, my. Those are some special quotes.
Although now I want to use "gosh golly giddly-ups" in an ordinary conversation, just to see what happens...
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Dear Lord. That's painful beyond belief. As much as I love anything chocolate...I'd sooner never eat it again then buy it in a bait shop. *shudder* I hope your next read is/was better.
Rane Aria 9 years ago