Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Sorry this didn't agree with you! I personally loath pageants. And yes, I think they are...stupid so I can see not liking the setting of this book at all. Also, why does all the MC angst over those particular issues HAVE to happen during a book about pageants? *sigh* The author on the whole sounds good though and I'll have to check out a book by her.
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I highly recommend any of the three series she's writing under the Jenn McKinlay name - they all start off excellent! This book and the last one in the library lovers series were both the weakest of the lot, so far.

The pageant is the catalyst for the MC's angst over her weight (or, I should say, her previous weight) but I felt rather unsympathetic. Yes, she had weight problems when she was a teen, but she owns a freaking cupcake shop! If she's not the size of a house surrounded by all those cupcakes, she's got a fair chance of having beaten the weight battle.
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Yeah there is that; I'll check out the library lovers series. I hope my library has the first one. I'm on the fence about this Cupcake series...I can see where it might be interesting but it's rare for me to like the food cozies.
Murder by Death 9 years ago
Then yeah, skip the cupcake one - but maybe check out the hat shop one. It's set in London and I was really impressed with the first one. (The second one just came out this week.)
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
Ooooh, that one I will check out. Hats look hideous on me (no matter what shape) but I love them and anything London or British is on my list. I'll definitely look into that series.
Rane Aria 9 years ago
I'm PRAYING she doesn't drag the triangle on and on with her Library series and doesn't even touch her Hat series with any of this "mehness" her cupcake series is going through. I have real trouble when the author kinda preaches certain views without leaving it up to the reader and their views, leaving it up for them to decide. I hate the double standard with pageants, these girls prance around for "scholarship" I wanna see guys out there wearing speedos and tuxes and crowned King of whatever state for "scholarships"
Murder by Death 9 years ago
Hear, hear! I think that would be an excellent idea! Oh, but wouldn't we hear men scream over the objectification and humiliation were that to happen, lol...

I got the sense that the love triangle (or love rhombus, as WiKRW calls it, below) isn't going to last much longer than the next book in the Cupcake series, but it seems we're going to have a retro plot line to get through before it happens. As far as the Library Lovers, well. That was my favorite series of hers, and I feel like she ruined it with the stupid triangle and the last book was such a disappointment, I'm almost (not quite) afraid to pick up the next one.

I have the hat shop book 2 on the pile at the moment and I'm looking forward to it - I'm with you in hoping she doesn't screw it up with more "love geometry". :D
A love rhombus? Am I missing something? Was there an announcement somewhere that said a Love Triangle or a Love Rhombus is the next big thing? I've known you don't like them and have joked around with you about them. But I'm now starting to fully understand why you can't stand them. Once again you've proven that I really don't pay attention when I read. :P
I haven't read this or the previous book yet, but I do agree that the Jenn McKinlay books are good and well worth recommending. Love Geometry or not!
Murder by Death 9 years ago
ROFL... I love the "love rhombus" and "love geometry" tags - I might borrow those someday!

I actually don't mind a bit of short-lived competition for the MC's affections if it's introduced before any romance starts. It can be fun and add a bit of edge to the stories. But don't make me fall for a love interest, cheer on the romance and then yank it out from under me while some other man tries to horn in. That just irritates me and it feels like a cheap, lazy way to stretch out character interest. And now *everybody* is doing it and it's just getting tired and worn out.

She still writes good books, they just aren't as good as they were 18 months ago (except for her hat series - that one is still great!).
I think we need to make them a trending topic!
Degrees of Affection 9 years ago
May I use that as a shelf designation? Love Rhombus. How perfect!
Murder by Death 9 years ago
I definitely want to use it as a tag. :)
Please do! I can't wait to see what ends up there!