Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Sounds interesting! Hope my library has it, because I'd like to try a historical cozy.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
It's definitely worth a try; especially if you can get it at the library. I can also recommend a few other historical cozies if you'd like. ;-)
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I would! That would be awesome. Thank you!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Ok! :-) I have three established series to recommend (at least two of them should be easily at the library), in order of best-to-still-really-good:

Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple Series: Death at Wentwater Court http://booklikes.com/death-at-wentwater-court-carola-dunn/book,1616473 Takes place directly after WWI.

Rhys Bowen's Lady Georgiana Series: Her Royal Spyness http://booklikes.com/her-royal-spyness-rhys-bowen/book,1338185 Also takes place after WWI in the 1930's. I was reluctant to try this one at first because I thought it was going to be too 'cute' - a poor member of the royal family having to work for a living. But it's a great series and it gets better with every book.

Carol K. Carr's India Black Series: India Black http://booklikes.com/india-black-carol-k-carr/book,6422827 Takes place in 1870's London and the main character is a brothel owner who finds herself working for Her Majesty. Pure, humorous fun with really good plots.

Rane Aria reminded me (below) of two other series that are also very good:

Andrea Penrose's Lady Arianna Hadley Series, which looks to be finished at 3 books. Sweet Revenge is the first book. http://booklikes.com/sweet-revenge-andrea-penrose/book,6710708 1813 England. I really liked this series and the chocolate history and the recipes are sinful (I've made the chocolate shortbread and it's excellent!)

Kate Parker's Victorian Bookshop Mystery. The Vanishing Theif http://booklikes.com/the-vanishing-thief-kate-parker/book,10159052 Brand new series with the second one only scheduled to come out in the next month or so... I loved this first book; it wasn't formulaic at all and I can't wait for the next book to come out.

Finally, as I scan my shelf, I'll mention Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher Series. Cocaine Blues is the first book. 1929 Melbourne AU setting. Phryne is fabulous and scandalous. I absolutely love this series, but I suspect it's in part because it takes place in Melbourne (where I'm currently living). The plots aren't overly complicated at all and the first books in the series aren't as good as the later books. If your library has them, take a peek.
The only series of those you just listed that I've read is the Phyrne Fisher, which is great fun.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
If you like Phryne, you might like the India Black series. Totally different tone/time period, but also a great deal of fun. :)
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Thanks! Sorry it took so long...but this is the first time I've gotten a chance to claim the computer and track down each of the the first books in these series. Most are now on my list and I plan to start on them soon. Thanks again for listing these; I've never heard of most of these before.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
No worries! I hope you find you like them! :)
Rane Aria 8 years ago
You hit the nail on the head with the things that bother me the most in the book, the theme of women as mere objects/cattle to be done with as see fit, but felt I was bashed over the head with it time again from other people views to even Lucy's inner monologue which while understandable became tedious at best. Robert id at times get a tad on my nerves but the ending was a little to open ended for my taste
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I was expecting something different at the end (I really wish you could put spoiler tags in comments!) based on reviews I'd read on GR, so the ending didn't bother me since I was braced for something more annoying.

The second book in the series is due out in November and I've put it on my buying list. I'm not expecting the author to stop being true to the age, but I'm hoping the sexism of the time will be used more subtly in Death Comes to London.
Rane Aria 8 years ago
I wasn't so lucky and was smacked in the face with the ending and ended up very annoyed =/

I think I become spoiled with series like Lady Arianna Regency Mystery and Victorian Bookshop Mystery - this time though I'll be on the lookout for your review to see if somethings were toned down