Reflections 8 years ago
I have never had an ounce of interest in reading Tom Clancy, but this is making me reconsider--great review!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Thanks! I'll be the first to say in order to really enjoy his books it helps to either share his views on foreign policy and the second amendment, or at least be really open-minded to opposing viewpoints. They've all given me quite a lot to think about over the years though...
Reflections 8 years ago
I enjoy books that make me rethink my world view, even when I ultimately don't change my mind much.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
You might check out Patriot Games. It probably had the biggest effect of all his books on my understanding of terrorists and terrorism, and I remember it being more tightly written as well as slightly more objective. :)
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
I grew up with Clancy because my Dad loved most of his fictional work. Though I'm not sure how much of the newer stuff he's read. I've tried to read Hunt for Red October, at least twice. The story is interesting, but I can't get past the technical stuff. It was just too much. I hope to try again some other time. I did love watching the first three Jack Ryan movies with him though.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Red October was a beast to get through. Too many subs/ships/countries to keep track of. I had to fight my way through it, going back again and again asking "wait, what ship/sub is this character on?" But the story, once you got all that straight, was a thrill ride.

Hunt for Red October was also the best of the Clancy film adaptations; fewer ships and subs, but it remained very true to the book overall. I didn't watch another Clancy film after I saw Patriot Games - that movie was NOT faithful to the book at all!
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Ah, I hate to hear that. I loved Patriot Games the movie. Red October the movie was good too; I loved Sean Connery in it.