C. P. Lesley 8 years ago
Another gem, in my view, although A Letter of Mary remains my favorite—that and Locked Rooms (the dock scene in A Monstrous Regiment of Women notwithstanding). ;-)
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I think I like A Letter of Mary better for it's plot and pacing. This one wins for atmosphere. :)
C. P. Lesley 8 years ago
For atmosphere, absolutely! I have never listened to an audiobook, so the exposition doesn't bother me. It's the subject of A Letter of Mary I find so fascinating. I won't say more out of a desire to avoid spoilers.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I think the exposition was only noticeable because it was an audiobook. I haven't read it in print (yet) but I doubt I'd find it problematic at all.
My favorite: Justice Hall.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I think I have that one coming up? Or two more books?
I think the next one is O Jerusalem, and then Justice Hall.
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
Justice Hall is a good one and yes, it's O Jerusalem next. My favorites are...the Beekeeper's, The Moor, Locked Rooms (can't wait to see what you think of that one!) and...not sure. Some of the newer ones I've only read once, so I need to re-read them and see how I feel about them. These older ones I've read so often, I know them completely. But yes, the atmosphere in this one is so good. It's really the first of several she does set in distinct locales and you can tell from the beginning, she has a flair for making a place come alive with words. Later on in the series, I swear I could almost smell the spices and hear the sounds of the cities when they travel to India, Morocco (I think that's where it's set), and even this next one, The Holy Land. The new one coming out next year is set in Japan. I can't wait!
Murder by Death 8 years ago
Ok, now I'm wanting to skip to Locked Rooms... but I won't! Thank you for spurring me on to pick up this series again - it's excellent! I'm trying to figure out how I can collect all of them in hardcover while I'm home next month and then get them through baggage weight restrictions. :D
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
LOL! That's my worry whenever I actually visit another country; how am I going to get all the books I buy into the country! Some of the hardcovers though, you'll have to order used, probably. Or find a really good used book store. And I'll warn you, the paperbacks are not that great. The covers don't all match, I think they went through at least four different styles but do try to find them in hardback. I'm only missing the second one. I also highly recommend the hardback anniversary addition of Beekeeper's Apprentice. It's very well done and I love the short, new intro by King. That's one you'll be able to find pretty easily in hardback at least!

Oh! And as for that moment with Holmes in The Moor...I've always thought, even the first time that it was partially what he'd been drinking mixed with what is going on with Baring-Gould. With the information later on concerning their connection, it - to me - makes even more sense.
Murder by Death 8 years ago
I love rambling around the used book stores at home - and there is a public library with a FOTL 'store' in it right across the street from my mom's house. When we were there last I think DH and I bought 7 books in the span of 10 minutes and spent $5. Maybe I'll just try to find the first 5 or so... 5 can't weight that much, right? Thanks for the info about BKA anniversary addition - I'll be on the look out for that one in particular.

I HATE it when they change the covers mid-series! I understand the marketing perspective but from a collections pov, it screws the whole thing up!
Degrees of Affection 8 years ago
That's how we are when we go visit my family down South. There's this huge used bookstore there and we usually go at least once while down there. I miss it so much! Some of their prices aren't great but sometimes you find that one book you've been looking for for a great price. You can also turn in books for credit, so we try to do that when we clear our shelves.

I know! I'll try to take a picture of my set and post it for you. Of find all the covers I own and read on the internet and post them that way. Some of the covers have been really pretty though. I like some of them...but they do look a bit of mess.